1. The Compassionate Damsel

Rakshasavarta

Rakshasavarta

"Maharaj, I seek justice to you!"

Her sweet yet firm voice gave the raajsabha an unexpected pause. All the eyes fell on the only Princess of this land, who seemed to be wiser beyond her age.

"Hidimbaa, this is raajsabha, child." The King softly said. "I'll listen to you later."

"You're mistaking me, Baba. I have not come here as your daughter. I have come as the Princess of this land, who shouldn't keep quiet on any injustice happening in her father's rule!" Princess Hidimbaa calmly said. A regal aura adorned her brightened face.

Just like a born-queen!

"Maharaj, I request you to stop the torture that's going on in Rakshasavarta!"

"Who did that?" The King raised an eyebrow.

"Yuvaraj Hidimba." She uttered without a hesitation.

What!

The ministers exchanged glances, shrugging. A sister had come to complain against her own brother? How could she?

"What has he done, Putri?" The King tried his best to keep patience.

"He has seized a group of innocents in this forest. Without a single fault." Hidimbaa informed.

"Enough of your lies!" Crown Prince Hidimba snapped. "Get lost before I lose my cool! This sabha is not for your girly dramas!"

Hidimbaa turned to her brother. "You know well that I'm not lying, Yuvaraj. What you have done is unethical. Those forest dweller Rishis have never done any harm to you or your land!"

"They are our food!" Hidimba reminded.

"Apologies, Yuvaraj! But we don't have lack of food in this forest that we need to eat innocent humans thus!" Hidimbaa turned to her father. "Maharaj, they are aged, weaponless, unable to protect themselves. As a daughter of warrior clan, I seek justice to you on behalf of them! Protecting them is our responsibility."

"Did you listent to your beloved daughter, Maharaj?" Hidimba gnashed his teeth. "Don't know which human has taken birth in our family!" He groaned. "She doesn't even have the least feature of a Rakshasi! I want to kill that priest who said she'll rule Rakshasavarta one day!"

"Ruling a land doesn't need one to be unnecessarily cruel on humans or any creature." Hidimbaa was still calm. "Leadership comes from sense of care and responsibility, not from brutal treatment to one and all. If you fail to realize that, dear brother, our Rakshasavarta only will suffer from anarchy one day! I don't want that."

"Huh!" Hidimba fumed. "A girl will teach me, the powerful Hidimba, how to rule?" He glared at the King. "And you won't tell her anything, Baba?"

Hidimbaa raised her eyes too. The King just smiled, nodding to his daughter in support.