3. The Witty Princess

Madra

Madra

"Not Jasmine! I don't like them!"

The Sairindhri's hand froze as she was about to stick a string of Jasmine in the long tresses of her Princess.

"Bring me Karnikara." She demanded. Her Sairindhri managed to nod, wondering why the little Princess loved medicinal plant's flowers instead of lotuses and Jasmines. They had never understood the reason behind her weird choice.

"Didi! Didi! Come fast! There is a..."

Princess Vijaya sprung to her feet. "What happened, Sreni?"

"You come first. See yourself!" Prince Srenimat gasped for air.

"What?" Vijaya stepped forward to follow her younger brother.

"Rajkumari! Wait!" The Sairindhri called. "Your shringara isn't yet done."

"I'll do shringara later, Sairindhri." Vijaya assured while rushing towards the door.

"Rajkumari, listen! At least tie your hair!" She tried to bring her back.

"I'll tie them myself. Don't worry!" Vijaya replied and ran away like a young doe.

The Sairindhri sighed, shaking her head. She feared even thinking what punishment must be awaiting her if people saw the Princess in open hair, without proper shringara done.

This hyperactive young Princess would cause her lose her job one day, she had no doubt on that!

Srenimat led his sister to the garden.

"Didi, see!" He whispered, pointing to a large Shala tree.

Vijaya rode on the branches without a second thought. Despite of being a girl, she was very much used to such daring activities that her maids would call boyish. She peeped through the branches carefully. What she found was worth worrying indeed.

"Emblem of Trigarta!" She exclaimed seeing two strangers sneaking around, with bull mark on their crowns.

"They must be spies!" Srenimat guessed aloud. "We need to inform..."

"Ssh!" Vijaya put finger on her lips. "Let me hear what they're speaking."

Srenimat was in a hurry to rush to the raajsabha for alerting the King. But now he chose to trust his intelligent elder sister's decision. They saw the two strangers looking around with alert eyes.

"Look!" One of them showed a tala leaf to the other. "According to this map, this garden has a secret tunnel that directly leads to King Dyutimat's bed chamber."

Vijaya straightened herself, her ears more alert than before.

"I know." Said the other. "We need to search for the tunnel as soon as possible."