chapter 𝟷

Don't get me wrong, I loved going to school at L'école du duke

Don't get me wrong, I loved going to school at L'école du duke. But it's a private school, and like at any private school, there is people here who are...unpleasant.

Classic mean girls.

And believe me, I have dealt with those girls before. We will get to that later.

But that's not my problem today.

No, my problem is that this school always seems to small.

I always seem run into that one person that I never want to look at again.

In this case; Zane Marquis.

The guy I did not even date, but the guy I can't get over. Its an issue.

Arrg.

"Vivi look who it issssss!"

That voice drives me out of my thoughts, and back into the blank hallway of our plain school. The voice of my best friend, Émilie.

"Mon dieu! Em, bring your voice down, he's going to see me." I whisper yelled at her.

And there he is, standing at around 5'10 with is dark skin and toned body.

"Vivienne, you are staring." Émilie says with a hinting tone in her voice.

"Shut up, no I am not. I'm over him Em." I glare at her.

"No you're not!" I hear a new voice and whip my head around so fast, I might have whip lash now.

"Hello to you too, Will."I sigh, I knew I was going to be out numbered sooner or later.

"I mean, who are you kidding, Vi? " he asked with his sharp English accent.

Most of us here have a bit of a French accent, we are from French colonies after all. But Will is an exchange student from England. So he always the one odd one out.

"Okay I will admit that there might be a little bit of feelings for him in my heart, a tiny bit." I admit, their not wrong, I have never been able to get over Zane.

And we did not even date.

We told each other our feelings, but never asked out each other. A few weeks later, my friend told me that he had sent her a text saying he did not have feelings for me anymore.

So that was that.

Nothing even happened, I should forget about him and move on, right?

Wrong. I can't , for the life of me, my heart still patters when I run into him. Its like a light had been turned on and I couldn't find the light switch to turn it off.

But, it patters less now than before.

And that's a good thing. Right?

"Vivienne, concentrer! " ( focus ) Émilie warns, and although I don't really hear her, but I do look up.

And quickly dodge the person I was about to walk into.

Zane.

But I fall, and trip.

For the love of god, just let me die here and right now. Could there be anything more cliche?

"Vivienne, are you okay?" He asks with his beautiful light and airy voice.

"Oui, ( yes ) I am okay, thanks and sorry, for almost hitting you" oh my god-I sound so meek and lame.

"No problem, let me help you up." He offers me a hand.

I get up with his help, wipe the dust off my black and white plaid pencil skirt and say thank you once again. I might die of shame alone.

"You're welcome, see you around Vivi." And then he walks away.

I hear two sets of snickers from behind me and see Will and Em giggle their asses off.

"Okay, ha ha you guys, very funny, let's just go to lunch" I cannot deal with this today.

"Okay cherie, ok. " Will replies with his stupid nickname for me. ( cherie is a very common French pet name it means my dear. )

"Are both of you ready for English class? We have to have our first draft ready!" I ask them, changing the subject as we make our way into the cafeteria

"Yes and I know you just want to change the topic so we stop laughing at that hilarious encounter. But just to remind you, you did remember to proof read your partners draft right?" Émilie states, while still giggling.

But that reminds me, I did not, in fact, proof read the draft of my english partner.

"Merde! ( shit ) I forgot! I have to do that now!" I check down at my smart watch and see that I still have fifty minutes before lunch is over to eat and proof read. I should be fine if I star now.

Man, I really need to stop being so jumpy.

We go to our usual table near the back and we all sit down and start eating.

"So," Will starts "I love sitting with you two and all, but also love spending time with my boyfriend, so I was thinking, we have him and his friend come over.."

" Nope" Émilie interrupts " Your boyfriend is my twin and I hate my twin so, nope."

" Come on Em, you love your brother, and you love Will, and maybe you will love your brothers best friend, so why not give it a go" I ask her.

"Nope" Her French accent causes the "p" to pop.

"But," she starts " My twins best friend is not my type, but he certainly is yours" she looks into my eyes, puzzle pieces being put together inside her head.

"Totally" Will says with a high pitched voice.

"No-" I start

But when Em has an idea, she will not let it go.

"Okay, invite your boyfriend and his friend over please, Will." Émilie interrupts, but she sounds way to excited for this.

Oh god, what have I gotten myself into?

I don't have time for boys, I have to get good grades, I have etiquette class after school Tuesday and Friday , voice class on Thursday , royal stuff 101 after school everyday. Royal stuff all weekend, and every other free minute is for homework and me time.

And I am afraid of a relationship.

But that's definitely not what's stopping me.

Who am I kidding? Myself? Nope. Others? Nope.

I am to afraid of a relationship to put myself out there, that's why nothing happened with Zane. And I'm afraid that if I get into a relationship I won't have time to live up to the expectations and then I won't be able to become the duchess.

But I think part of me is worried that Zane and I didn't go anywhere, because I just wasn't enough.