one

Book 3 : Just A Rebound [PUBLISHED]
Check it out!

It's hot. Too hot to be standing in the parking lot of my apartment complex just so some stranger can inspect my car and put a nice price on it. He's been checking under the wheel, tapping the tires with a pen, and even breathing on the windows to see how quickly the fog clears.

"It's a good fucking car. It's only four years old and I barely drove it places. School and back and a couple irrelevant places but the mileage is good. Everything is good." The man looked at me then stared closely at himself in the rear view mirrors. "I just- I just got it checked out and it's in pristine condition."

He jotted something down before fixing his polo shirt to look at me. "The most I can do is eighty thousand."

"Eighty! It's over a two hundred thousand dollar vehicle!"

The man laughed in my face. "Sir. Cars lose their value the second it's rolled off the lot. A Range Rover loses over sixty percent of its value within the first five years. Even eighty thousand is too much of an asking price but my daughter really wants one of these." He slid a finger across the exterior. "Eighty is more than enough for a guy of your background."

I knew he was right about everything he said. I couldn't argue with a guy who knew cars compared to a guy like me who just drove them for sport. "I'll have to run this by my girlfriend. It's our only car right now. Down sizing is not her favorite as long as the price is decent."

"No problem! How long should I wait to come back?"

"No need. I just texted her. She should be down in a second." I looked at my car once more and tried not to cry. He was my first car and I've taken care of him since I got him at sixteen. I could only imagine if the new owners would love him the way I do.

The sound of foot steps hitting the pavement caused us both to look towards the entrance gate. "I rushed down here." Teshia sighed a bit out of breath then held her hand out for him to shake. "I'm Teshia. I see you're buying our car for a lovely price." The man nodded while looking over his clip board. "I should give you a bit of background on this car. In 2016, this car was custom made and shipped directly to Christopher Richardson. Custom made cars are very expensive because additional features are added for longer lasting benefits. Therefore, a car of this quality is very similar to buying a brand new one."

He squinted at her while shoving his clipboard under his arm. "Eighty-three."

"Eighty-six," she smiled back.

He then took his glasses off his face. "Eighty-five and a half."

Teshia looked at me and I looked back at her a bit confused with what just went on. "Deal. We take check and keep the title until the check clears." He nodded once as I tossed around the car keys. "We will let you know when to come pick it up."

"What the hell did you just do?" I asked the moment he drove away.

"Now you have the money to pay your parents back and get a smaller car. Next time you also want to go into debt with your dad you should talk to me first. I have the money you know."

I groaned while following her up the two flights of stairs to our apartment. She was always on me about financial stuff and how I have to start spending more wisely. My parents cut me off when they found out I wasn't going to school anymore so all these "loans" from them are really my allowances that I used to get.

"I'm just going to say thank you for getting him to raise the price. I thought the original offer was crazy."

"My dad owns a car dealership. I used to hear him haggle people's wallets while doing homework." She then walked into the kitchen and picked up a menu off the magnet on the fridge. "A new Chinese restaurant opened up next to the place where I get my facials. Do you want to try it?" I nodded which made her clap in excitement. "Thank God! I'm tired of your protein meals."

"It's not protein meals, it's meat. We kind of need that. Not everyone likes to eat strawberries all day."

"Stop pushing me!" I gripped her hair a little tighter at the fact that she kept stopping which was irritating as it is. "Kit! Just let me do it!" The second I rolled my eyes, she got off her knees and stood on her toes. She wasn't taller than my chest so watching her frown looked more like an angry puppy. "You do this every time!"

"You're not going fast enough! I don't scream at you when I'm trying to get you off. I listen and do as you say. Its called communication."

"Yeah! But I'm under running water and if I need a break because I can't breathe then give me one." She nudged me out the way of the shower to rinse off. "We can do this later." She then got out the shower and left me with an issue that luckily wasn't too far along. "Take the trash out too. It's Thursday."

It took a couple of rings but my mom finally answered the door to let me in. She didn't have a smile and didn't even have a welcoming aura about herself. I knew my presence was annoying yet expected. "Hello, Mom. It smells like steak dinner tonight."

"Is Teshia not feeding you just like she wasn't encouraging you to stay in school?"

"Mom-"

"You were on your junior year-"

"I didn't come to talk about that. I'm here to pay you back." I handed her the check that was in my pocket. She merely looked at it before going over to the kitchen to continue what infuriated. "Are you going to take it?"

She chuckled. "Where did you get the money?" I knew my answer wouldn't satisfy her. She's been on my case since I returned home three months ago.

"I... I sold my car."

Her entire jaw hit the counter at the same time she slammed the spatula down. "You sold the birthday present your father and I got you just so you can give it back?" I rolled my eyes. "It was Teshia's idea wasn't it? I knew by the way she looked at it that she couldn't stand it! You loved your Rover!"

"Just take the money. I have to go to work in an hour."

"How are you getting around?" She rested a hand on her hip. Before I could answer, she pulled her car keys out of her pocket and tossed them at me. I caught them of course. "Use my car until you get your own. She is not to drive it though. If she needs to go somewhere then you take her."

I couldn't turn down the kind gesture. I was tired of paying for rides everywhere. I knew my mom would crack alone which is why I came here on the day my dad worked. Whenever he was around she started acting like she had a spine.

"Thank you. Do you want the check though?"

"No. I just wanted to see if you were even going to try and pay us back. I'll tell your father that you used it to handle responsibilities. He'll be so proud." She then gave me a hug that was so tight I thought my eyes would pop out. "I still can't believe you sold your car."

"Yeah," I chuckled. "It hurt me too."