eleven

2 years ago

Everyone crowded around while Harvey took pictures of me in front of my Range Rover so I can update my page. It wasn't my first choice when I got it but Harvey said it was the only option that was cool. I wanted anything with two seats and a loud speaker. It put a smile on his face though and I know he needed it. "With the Jean jacket. That's what I'm talking about!" We did our signature handshake before he showed me the pictures he took.

"Kit? Can we get to class now?" April groaned.

"Yeah, give me a minute."

Well, a minute turned into five and before I knew it she was already gone. Harvey ended up walking me to class and that was over in a minute since our teacher had a doctors appointment.

I didn't want to blame any specific moment in particular but there was a point in time where I lost myself. With that moment I was losing interest in April. I made promises to her and she did the same for me. It was something that was bound to happen and I always do this to myself. I feel bad and I hold on.

"Ah! Stop it! You know I'm shy sometimes!" I looked over to see Sophia's friend group trying to catch her off guard. Her hands danced in her hair which she chopped off over the summer. Harvey finally found someone who enjoyed when his hair was longer instead of ridiculed him for it yet their relationship was bumpy. I finally found someone who made me curious and wanting more.

Her name was Nova.

Her locker was right across mine. As discreetly as possible I would run to my locker after class just so I wouldn't miss her. Then I would talk to April to ensure I didn't miss her either.

She was always with that red head laughing and exchanging homework I assume. They were best friends. They could tell each other everything. I knew it. I wish I could talk to Harvey about certain stuff. He usually goes right around and tells Sophia. Sophia and April have been a little close lately. April still doesn't like Sophia but Sophia loves drama.

"Which one?" Harvey whispered in my ear making me jump away. "Which one has you drooling with your girlfriend six feet away." I quickly shrugged and pulled out my phone to pretend I wasn't doing exactly what he knew I was. "It's the red head right? She has no chest, though. A downgrade from April."

"I was reading the student council poster. Excited to see who's going to win." He laughed in my face as I tried to lie. "What do you want, man?"

He then looked them both up and down and it made me break a sweat. I had no idea what I was thinking. I ruined everything. He's going to do it. He's going to go up there and-

"You don't want the red head really. You have April to care about. Let me have her." I stood back in shock. That's what he came up with. "You two would clash anyway." He then pushed himself away and straight to the girls across the hall I watched absolutely petrified as he said something to her and she quickly smiled and turned to Nova. He then smirked while walking right back over to me. "That's all." One slap on my back and he was gone. So were the two girls.

"I'm going to dance with a few of my first. We can just meet up back here?" I nodded as April was dragged away by "a few of her friends" which was the entire group of girls who people consider at dating the least popular athletes. I wonder where that makes me fit.

Despite it all, I watched her for as long as I could. Stayed in the area to count her drinks too since it's very important to her to drink no more than three cups of whatever she liked mixing. As for me, I stuck with a cup of water. Couldn't repeat past mistakes.

I looked over just in time to see someone I thought I'd never see at these types of functions. Her friend looked like she'd been through all the bottles of alcohol on the counter as she broke away from Nova's grasp. I quickly made my way over since I didn't know when she would be back.

We've talked once today. I'm not usually shy but all I could manage was to keep it school related just to not seem weird. I wanted to keep my cool and make it seem as though I don't look for her even when I'm out in other cities practicing for baseball tournaments.

She seemed sweet and calm. Hidden even. I knew she was nervous when she used her hand or cup to hide from me but it made it all the more cute. I kept my cool and she kept hers. We talked about anything surface level. It was best we didn't dig too deep into each others lives. I'd hate to scare her off. Then the next thing I knew she was back on her mission. Finding her friend and being the responsible one.

Harvey came up to me five minutes later with a look of disinterest on his face. "We need to talk in the white room." I wasn't sure why he wanted to talk in the middle of the party instead of somewhere more private and in his room. Either way I went along and followed him to the white room.

Nova and her friend were in there. Harvey rudely told them to remove themselves and they did so. I couldn't help but smile at Nova whenever I could sneak in the chance.

"I need your help getting Sophia back. That girl back there isn't worth the jewelry she has on." I sigh as he talked bad about someone Nova truly cared about. "You're lucky I took the bullet for you. You wouldn't have liked her."

I never did.

"Yeah right," I chuckled. "Are you going to get to know every girl I like first?"

"Get first dibs right?" He nudged me slightly. "I'm saving you the pain and heartache. You can't be mad at that." I nodded slowly. "So who's the girl she was with. Saw you talking to her."

I quickly shrugged. "Uh... her friend. We were talking about her actually and she was saying all good things. Of course she would say that though but now since I've heard the truth from you I'm really not interested. I don't like either of them."

"April's been standing right behind you," he whispered while stepping past me to leave the room. I was too scared to turn around.