eighteen

There could only be one.

Nova, wearing what she had on the last time I saw her, walked up to the front porch of the small home with a smile on her face. She took my hand the moment I held it out to her and guided her up the few steps. The moment I opened the door, I turned on the lights to expose the empty shell of a house. It smelled new and ready for me. Too bad I'll have to wait a bit longer for this moment.

"Where are we?" She asked and I could feel her shaking in my grasp.

"This was supposed to be my home. I've been saving my money for this baby right here. I wanted somewhere that I could go and be comfortable and alone. I was at my lowest when I started looking into this place. Teshia had no idea. My mom had no idea. It was my secret that I'm only sharing with you." Her smile was big and beautiful. Something burned in my heart forever. "But I realized I have to get my life together first." I then handed her a pamphlet which she accepted with grace. "LSU has an amazing nursing program. Very competitive and with your grades you are guaranteed a space."

She quickly brushed through the words before looking back up at me with a loss for words. "Why are you saying this?"

"I got accepted into their baseball team. They had a slot they were saving up and with one phone call I found out the guy who was supposed to get the position got another opportunity elsewhere." Not mentioning any names. "I want you to come with me. Spend our time together like how it was supposed to be. I can come back to all this later but I can't do it if you aren't by my side."

The look on her face wasn't promising. "I already have such a status here that I'm not sure that a move would fit in with my credits and..." She continued to search for the words but came up blank. "Why the fuck did I even come back to this place? Of course I'll apply to LSU!" She jumped into my arms for the tenth time today and I was not about to complain one bit. "This is the best thing I've heard since the grant- the grant! I have to call Michael and tell him he might have to be the new president of the club!"

"You do what you have to do, Nova. I'm going to be in this empty corner saying bye to my dream home." She rushed outside to take a phone call while I drifted around the home that was never mine but could have been.

I already envisioned where I'd put most of my stuff. Accepted how lucky I was to be able to buy a home so young. I was seconds away from losing all hope with Nova but I had to give it one more shot. I didn't see a future with Teshia. She always felt like an unfinished job in my book.

And guess who was calling me.

"Michael said he's so proud of me

"Michael said he's so proud of me." I turned to look at her as she turned to look at me. "My god, are you okay? You look kind of pale?"

"I'm just... so excited that I'm stunned." We walked to each other to give the other one more hug before she took off to look around the house. She wanted to see if I was good at picking spaces and agreed it was a nice start.

If things turn out how I don't want then this two bedroom house might need to be purchased sooner than later.