four

The strobe lights were ridiculous. It gave me a headache just watching all the bright lights flash across the room. I don't see how anyone could seriously enjoy themselves without triggering a seizure. Despite my efforts of wanting to wait outside, Nova dragged me into this club and there was no turning back now. I'd hate to be the reason she got drugged and carried off somewhere.

"She's a bartender. So what? I could get the job just as easy. Have you seen my charming ways?" I sent her a smug smile which earned me an eye roll. "Still got it I see. You're starting to look like the Nova I annoyed all those years ago."

She chuckled as we neared the bar where I could see that bottle blonde twirling drinks and glasses in the air. I figured now was a good time to gather the words I would say to her so she can stop fucking with Nova, but something in my brain started to light up.

"Uhm... maybe this wasn't a good idea." Nova looked over her shoulder at me and we stopped walking all together. The rim of the bar lit up and that was all it took for me to see my life flash before my eyes. I didn't take Edith seriously at first but this confirmed it.

It was right here where I was drunk as a skunk and ordering shot after shot while my neighbor, Drew, ranted about his wife's pregnancy. I remember vividly spilling a shot on my lap and a woman behind the bar assisted me to clean it up in the restroom. That wasn't the only thing she cleaned up.

"You can't back out now. She's already saw us I bet." She gave me one tug and I tugged back. "Kit!"

"I know what happened a month ago. I doubt it had anything to do with who she is now but from my life, I know what happened... a month ago." She looked confused so I knew I had no choice but to go out and say it since I've said everything else. "Uh... Edith-"

Before I could get my words out, I felt someone jump on my back which scared the living shit out of me. I turned on my heels to come face to face with this person who attacked me. Yet it wasn't a person at all, it was fucking Rudy.

"I know that monster tee from anywhere because I custom made it for you!" I smiled widely as that day on the boardwalk flashed into my head. "Are we seriously all here reuniting on summer break together!" Nova screamed in excitement and so did Rudy. This entire interaction confused me to my soul.

I stepped in between the two squealing girls to get an understanding on the show that was going on. "You two? Talking? I must have bumped my head against a steel rod somewhere."

"It's a long story!" Nova brushed her hand at me. "But we obviously have time." Rudy locked elbows with her while keeping a firm grip on the clear drink in her other hand. "Rudy and I connected on social media and she apologized for the whole thing like months ago. We talked about her life at ASU and mine at UCLA and we've been keeping up ever since. We were supposed to go to brunch with Sierra next weekend right?"

"Yes! That is still on! I just didn't expect to bump into you so soon. Especially not side by side with Kit Richardson. The same guy who unfollowed everyone from high school and went MIA on all his socials. Did you change your number too because my texts haven't gone through?"

Nope. I just blocked you. "Maybe bad service?" I lied with a shrug. "But that's super cool. I'm glad to see you two getting along." Nova seemed to be buddying up with a lot of people who stabbed her in the back. Why hasn't she reached out to me? I've never done her wrong. "We were here to see Edith actually."

Rudy grimaced. "The whore of Northern California. I thought she'd be a single mom with twelve kids. Guess I owe someone money." We all turned to look at her flirting with a guy at the bar. I simmered it down to she's doing her job to get more tips. "How have you been Kit? How's Oregon State?" I cleared my throat and nervously smiled in return. "Don't worry. I didn't expect you to make good grades."

"I actually dropped... out. College just uh, wasn't for me I guess." Rudy's smile dropped and she actually looked disappointed. "College is such a path a majority of everyone took. I'd like to be different."

She chuckled at me then quickly tried to cover it with her hand. "I'm sorry but the amount of people who chose to be homeless and acting or homeless and writing or worse... just homeless." She looked at Nova who agreed. They were making me feel shitty. "I know college wasn't your favorite topic of discussion but you know better Kit. There isn't much in California if you aren't selling your soul or picking up a degree. I know we're not the best like we used to be but I still care about you."

"Teshia said we have options." No one seemed to be buying that. "I know I do. I'm still getting it together you know. We're young. We have a life ahead of us."

"Edith is walking over." We all quickly turned to see her strutting away from the bar in a skimpy black outfit and heels. "Hi!" Nova said in the fakest tone. "Kit and I came to see you. We ran into Rudy along the way."

She held a hand out for Rudy to shake which she did. "I'm shocked actually. Kit said he didn't fuck with anyone from high school including me. Didn't expect to walk into a family reunion." Her voice made me want to go home and never leave the front door. "You guys want anything to drink. Tip me and it's free."

I scoffed at her attempt of a flirtatious wink at me. "You're such a-" Nova gave my hand a light tap which made the words get caught in my throat. "Will ten dollars cover it."

"I don't know Rich Boy." She then walked away while taking the money from my fingertips before I could even get my hand out of my pocket. "Be right back."

Rudy scoffed. "What was that about?"

"This was a bad idea, Nova. I don't know what I was thinking. I wanted to get her back for you but I don't think she's going to fall for anything I say. You can see the resentment in her eyes. Let's get our drinks and go home."

Edith was hanging over me like the mini devil on my shoulder. Even thinking about her going home alone with Nova gave me nightmares. She could spill the truth at any moment and Nova could either be disgusted in me or shrug it off like I don't matter. Either one hurts. Not that I want her to be upset that I hooked up with her best friend, but what if she has feelings for me like I do for her.

What? I do not like her. I'm done with high school drama and the people who were there. I'm done with all of them... just maybe not Nova.

"I don't want to get on her bad side any more than I have. You know she's the jealous type. She'll make your life worse. I recommend you find a different roommate next semester and never talk to her. Better yet! Just convince yourself that everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie."

"Calm down, Kit." Rudy frowned. "You sound like a maniac."

Before I could question why she's even still standing around, I felt a tap on my shoulder and I wasn't one to ignore anyone trying to get my attention.

"Hey," a petite blonde smiled at me. I'm starting to think you have to fit a certain look to get the job. "I'm Tiffany. I've been trying to call you about... us." I looked across the club at Edith who was pouring our drinks and giving me a devious glare. Only something a person with a plan would do.

"What? What about us?" She looked to my friends behind me with a nervous expression. "Spit it out."

She gulped and that's when my entire world fell apart. "I suggest you get tested."