twelve

NOVA

"Take one a day at the same time every day?" It seemed like a chore on its own but it seemed better than the insufferable periods I endure every month. Unfolding the extra-large paper a little more, it revealed a bunch more instructions that I should probably take seriously.

"If you wanna be my lover!" I quickly crumpled up the paper the second Edith emerged from the bathroom with a full face of makeup on. "That song took over my little girl heart even to this day." I tried to laugh off my nervousness but she caught on to my sneaky behavior too quickly. "I know you are not about to study on a party night."

"You're right." I went to throw it in my bag but she took it out of my hand the moment I walked past her. There was no point in fighting since it would only make things worse. "Its for-"

She chuckled as she read the front page of the instructions then turned to look at me in confusion. "Birth control? Who are you fucking? Is it Kit? I knew there was some sneaky shit going on."

"No! It's not that! I just... it was recommended by my doctor to fix a bunch of shit. I'm not... fucking... anyone."

Edith pouted while throwing herself across the bed while facing me. "Shit. Why didn't you tell me?" Because you're too busy running around with your other friends from morning to night that I'm shocked to even had got you alone the few times I did. "I should really be a better friend."

A small smile forced its way onto my face as the concern in her eyes grew stronger and stronger. Before we could go into deeper detail about what she said, there was a knock —more like a pounding— on our door.

"My god! Finally!" Like a lightning bolt, she went and opened the door to reveal Angela. "So glad you're here. I was bored as fuck!" They shared a hug and a squeal as I put the pill pack in my purse. "Let's go, girls! It's time to get beyond drunk and probably fuck someone." She then looked at me and winked. "Put those pills to use!"

Angela snickered at me. "The pill? Girl is this the 60s. We get IUDs around here." Edith agreed then grabbed her purse hanging on the door and chased Angela out into the hall.

Everything in me was saying I should spend this Saturday night to myself, but Edith picked out my outfit and I didn't want it to go to waste. So I closed the door behind me and followed them into our rideshare without a complaint.

They talked about the basketball boys, the hot professors on campus, the grades they didn't make, and the girls they didn't like. It was high school all over again except I was actually experiencing it with a girl I didn't know and a girl I thought I knew.

"We're here! They let girls 19 and up inside so the men come to buy us drinks." Edith shook her cup B's chest in Angela's face who fanned herself at the sight. The two took off without me and even skipped the line by showing a bit of skin. I wasn't going to do that and Edith knew which is why she quickly pulled me in before anyone could say anything.

I wasn't having fun right off the top of the night. I kept thinking how I didn't want to be here. Or maybe I didn't want to be with them. Edith didn't tell me she was inviting a plus one. I thought it was going to be she and I. I should have known better. I don't know why I keep lying to myself.

"Two drinks?" Edith said to the old man next to her who wore a fancy suit to a nightclub. He certainly didn't have the money he was trying to force every woman in here to believe he had. He then ordered two drinks and Angela quickly took hers right after Edith. I sat at the end of the bar like a fool. "We're Sophomores in college. She is the volleyball captain of our team."

He nodded a bit impressed with her lie. Angela was the captain of the volleyball team. Matter of fact, she's not even on the team since she showed up high and got kicked off. Begged and pleaded for them not to expel her. It was this whole thing a few weeks into our season.

"Is she with you two?" He pointed to me and all three pairs of eyes were now facing my way.

"Oh my god, Nova. I thought you went to the dance floor. I'm so sorry-"

Something took over me right then and there. The look on her face and the fact Angela was side-eyeing me like I was a stranger. I simply grabbed my purse off the bar and hopped out of my seat without entertaining her apology. "It's fine. I'm going to the restroom."

But I didn't. I went straight out the front door and waited for my ride back to the dorm. Going through social media passed the time fairly quickly. Nothing was stopping me from going through Kit's posts even though I usually try to avoid them so he won't think I'm weird.

 Nothing was stopping me from going through Kit's posts even though I usually try to avoid them so he won't think I'm weird

Now he probably thinks I'm laying in bed on a Saturday night doing absolutely nothing with my life. That is what I prefer to do instead of nights like this of feeling left out and made a fool out of.

"Nova?" I looked at the man in the car in front of me and quickly nodded. "I'm your driver..."

"Oh! My bad, sir." I quickly got in the backseat so I wouldn't waste any more of his time. He slowly drove through downtown traffic and the seconds that passed by made me regret my decision more and more. "Is it too late to change the destination?"

"No. Where do you want to go?"