Chapter 3

Fili drew his sword and pointed it at Nemaiza. "How did you catch us up? We have been watching the planes all day and there was no sign to say you were following." He growled at her. A few of the dwarves stirred and rolled over in their sleep as Fili's angry voice interrupted their dreams, but none of them woke.  

"I left last night, young dwarf. I have been waiting here for you," Nemaiza replied. Kili noticed that she seemed strangely calm even though his brother was threatening her with his sword. Her hands were visible and Kili could see that she was hiding no weapons. She was practically defenceless. 

Fili narrowed his eyes at her. He very much disliked being called 'young dwarf'. It made him sound inexperienced. "You have no business here with us. Leave now before my uncle wakes and drives you away with his axe," he snarled, his hate for Nemaiza plain on his face. 

Nemaiza scowled at Fili. "Your uncle IS my business. Now put away your sword for I mean you no harm." 

Kili put a hand on Fili's shoulder and attempted to calm him down. "Brother of mine, look, we see her hands and they rest empty. I see no weapon and I believe she is here to help."  

Fili shook off Kili's hand and thrust his sword back into its scabbard. "She'll be trouble," he whispered in his brother's ear, then he turned his back on them. 

"Kili, perhaps you could check on the horses? Oh, and take Fili with you," said Balin. He had been silent for a while but now he wanted to talk to Gandalf and the strange Nemaiza in private. Once the two brothers had disappeared into the darkness, Balin beckoned to the girl. "Come and sit by the fire, you look cold," he said, a warm smile upon his wrinkled face.  

Nemaiza hesitated but went to sit beside the dwarf and returned his smile. Gandalf lowered himself onto a log on the other side of the fire and listened to their conversation. 

"I know," Balin said and he saw Nemaiza's eyes shoot up to meet his, "I know what you are and why you need to come with us." 

"When did you realise?" Nemaiza asked. She felt somewhat relieved. Knowing why she had to be with them meant that Balin would be on her side. Thorin always listened to Balin when making important decisions. 

"I had my suspicions when we first met in the clearing. Only a Guardian would introduce themself as 'one without race'. I do not pretend to be all-knowing when it comes to Guardians but I do know how to read the signs." 

"Gandalf told me you were the clever one," Nemaiza smiled at the dwarf. 

"Well, I wouldn't say clever. I've just been around for a long time," Balin chuckled. "Here, have some food." He reached towards the leftover rabbit stew that Bombur had cooked earlier but then hesitated and looked back at Nemaiza, "am I right in thinking that Guardians don't eat meat?" 

"You are," she smiled again when he passed her a meat free soup, "and you know more than you give yourself credit for, though I need you to promise me that you will not reveal my identity to the others." 

Balin considered her words and then nodded. "Your secret is safe with me, Nemaiza, but will you tell me who it is that you are here for?" 

Nemaiza looked away into the dying fire, allowing Gandalf, who had been silent throughout the conversation, to speak for her. "Guardians are bound by many oaths that prevent them from revealing the names of those they are to protect."  

"I understand." Balin poked the fire and threw another log on to get it going again. "Now, I have heard that Guardians are excellent story tellers. I would love to hear one if you are not too tired?" 

Nemaiza grinned. "I rested during the day so I need no sleep yet. It would be my pleasure to tell you a story, for it is something I can do!" She began to tell a story to the dwarf, her words painting him a vivid picture. It was a simple old wives tale about a hated goblin who changed his ways and became a loyal warrior to a king of men.  

Fili and Kili returned to the fire part way through. Kili had managed to calm his brother down but Fili still appeared to be uncomfortable around Nemaiza. He glared at her from the other side of the fire but she refused to meet his gaze. Kili, on the other hand, gave Nemaiza a warm smile every time their eyes met. He believed that if she was to accompany them on their quest he should at least try and be civil with her. It was only fair.  

By the time the sky began to lighten most if the dwarves had woken up and now sat listening to Nemaiza. They shared out what was left of the rabbit stew and because the fire had died long ago it was now cold. They ate in silence, sometimes stopping with food half way to their mouths when Nemaiza got to a tense part in the story. None of them interrupted her once, for they all trusted that Balin had decided she was not threat.  

Only two dwarves were still asleep - Thorin and Dwalin - and just as Nemaiza brought her story to a close they began to stir.