Chapter 17

***Hey again! My GCSE's are coming up so I won't be able to update as much what with all the revising I will be doing. But I promise I will write as often as I can! This chapter is all in flashback/memory mode so if you are confused in any way about the plot so far, feel free to ask me about it! Happy reading!***

 Thorin nudged Dwalin, Balin and Bofur awake and together the four of them searched the surrounding area for Nema. They wandered further and further from the group until they reached the edge of the forest where it met the base of the mountain. It was there that they decided to give up and turn back. They had found no foot prints, no sign that Nema had passed that way at all.

  The four dwarves were almost back to the camp when they heard a rustling in the bushes near them. Thorin signed to his companions to keep quiet, and silently drew his sword. He crept closer to the source of the noise and raised his sword, ready to strike. The rustling stopped and Thorin let out a sigh of relief when he realised Fili ad been the one making the noise. The young dwarf joined them on the path and nodded in greeting. 

   "Fili, what were you doing in there?" asked Balin, clapping the dwarf on the shoulder.

   "You were all making such a racket I thought you were a warg. So I hid," Fili chuckled, but it seemed forced. "I planned on jumping out and slaying you."

  "What are you doing out here on your own, Fili?" Thorin grunted.

  Fili shuffled his feet. "I was looking for Nema. I suppose you are doing the same, uncle?"

  "Yes! We've been-" Balin began, but Thorin cut him off with a look.

  "Oh really? You sure you weren't the one to frighten her off?" Thorin glared at Fili. 

  Fili's eyes widened and he seemed hurt. "No, uncle! I woke up and she was gone! I swear I did nothing!"

  Thorin narrowed his eyes at his nephew. He stormed back to the camp to wake the other dwarves, leaving Dwalin, Balin, Bofur and Fili to stare after him.

  "What was that about, lad?" asked Dwalin, tilting his head to the side as he looked at the dwarf. 

  Fili shook his head in answer, then hurried after his uncle.

  When the three dwarves returned to the camp, Thorin had already explained to his company that they were missing a member, and they had all been given their separate tasks. Dori and Bombur were to make everyone breakfast, and then they would split into five groups to search for Nema.

  Bofur went to sit beside his cousin whilst they waited for their morning meal. He could see, clutched in Bifur's hands, the eagle carving. He was clearly very worried.

  Bifur stared at Bofur, his eyes wide with muted concern, and grunted his question.

  Bofur avoided his gaze. "I'm sorry Bifur, I couldn't find her. But we will try again." Bifur's hands tightened around the eagle, so much so that the wood began to split. Bofur placed a hand over Bifur's and hushed him. "We will find her. You don't need to worry." But the truth was, Bofur was worried himself. He couldn't think of a reason why Nema would just abandon them. Unless Fili had something to do with it. Bofur watched the dwarf opposite him whilst he waited for his food. The young dwarf seemed agitated.

  "You alright over there, Fili?" Bofur called, and Fili's head shot up.

  "Yes," he muttered. "I'm fine."

  Bofur frowned and turned away to receive his breakfast from his brother.

  After a rushed meal, the dwarves split into five groups. Gloin and Oin would leave the shade of the trees and follow the edge of the forest North. Dwalin and Balin were to do the same, but instead of North, they were to search South. Bofur and Bombur were to search along the Eastern path that lead to the mountain pass, and they were to take Bifur with them so they could keep an eye on him. Dori and Nori were to accompany Ori and search the ruined fort that they had passed on their trek across the grasslands. Kili and Bilbo were to stay put where they had slept, just in case Nema returned of her own accord, and finaly, Thorin and Fili were to search the forest surrounding the camp.

  Thorin had chosen Fili to accompany him because he wanted to talk to his nephew. He wanted to know what was going on between him and Nema. He knew it had to be something serious for Fili to act in such a way as he was now.

   After agreeing to return to the camp before the sun set the dwarves parted and went their separate ways, each swearing to himself that they would find her. Kili watched as they left, then scrambled up an outcrop of rock to better survey the area. Thorin and Fili were the last to leave, and his uncle threw one last fleeting look towards Kili before he disappeared into the trees. Kili realised then that wherever Nema was, Fili was the one who had sent her there.

***Okay, well I hope you liked it! I'm going away for a week (getting back next saturday I think) so I won't be able to update. But I will keep writing while I am away and I'll type it all up as soon as I return! But thank you to all my lovely readers! Please tell me what you think about the story so far! I love you all!***