Chapter 12

***Hey! Here is Chapter 12! Thanks to all who have commented so far, I really appreciate it! Special mention to LemonyLlamaLover, because your comments always make me smile! :D hope you enjoy this chapter, and don't worry, we will be leaving Rivendell far behind very soon!***

Meanwhile, in another corner of Rivendell, Thorin stood alone on the ledge, stating at the moon runes. Lord Elrond and Gandalf had left him to attend an important meeting with the White Council. The dwarf held the map in his hands, following every path and river to its end, until his eyes came to rest on the symbol beside the Lonely Mountain. It was strange to think that he had live within the mountain for most of his life, but had never discovered the secret door. Thorin had always considered himself to be an observant dwarf, but clearly he was mistaken.

  Thorin sighed and ran a hand along the rough parchment. The map, along with the key, had been his father's last gift to him. He carefully rolled it up and tucked it safely inside his cloak. Thorin then looked up at the moon and took a few moments to remember his father, Thráin, and his grandfather, Thrór. He did not want to admit it, but he still missed them terribly. Thorin believed that mourning one's fore bearers too much was a weakness, especially to a dwarven prince. He had mourned them enough over the years, but now, it was time to avenge them and take back Erebor.

   Thorin straightened his shoulders and marched away from the edge, back towards the brighter part of Rivendell. As he passed over small bridges and walked under carved archways, Thorin couldn't help marvelling at the beauty of Rivendell. Despite his hatred of the elves, he had to admit that they were very good at certain things like architecture and music. But of course, dwarves were the masters of architecture. They made homes out of mountains for crying out loud!

   When the dwarf could once again hear the music of the elves, he sped up. His stomach had been telling him it was time to eat ever since they had escaped the trolls and now it was shouting its orders like a king. Thorin rounded the corner and was about to join his fellow dwarves at the table when he saw Nema. She was sitting with her back against a pillar, blocked from the view of the other dwarves. Thorin crouched beside her.

  "Nemaiza?" he whispered. Nema slowly lifted her head and Thorin saw her red, tear-filled eyes. "Nemaiza what ails you?"

  Nema lowered her giaze again. "Do not trouble yourself with me. You must be hungry. Go eat."

  Thorin sighed. Yes, he was hungry, but he couldn't leave her like this. "Come on," he said, taking  Nema's hand and pulling her up. She protested a little, but let Thorin lead her down and away from the feasting dwarves. They walked through Rivendell, finally ending up beside a beautiful waterfall in a small courtyard. It was ornately carved with two figures, one male and one female, standing on a plinth in the centre. They both had large wings, each feather carved with great attention to the detail on each and every feather. They stood back to back, arms stretching towards the sky, with water cascading from their fingers and the tips of their wings. Nema took one look at the fountain, grimaced, and sat on its edge, facing away from it. Thorin sat beside Nema, watching her closely.

  "Now, Nemaiza, tell me what ails you," Thorin said.

  Nema could barely meet his gaze. "It is nothing. I am quite well."

 Thorin frowned. For some reason, he felt that it was his duty to assist her. He felt as though he...cared for her. "Nema," he whispered. She looked up, surprised that he had called her by that name. "You can talk to me."

  She looked at him for a long time, considering. What harm could it do? 

  "Thorin, what do you know of me?"

  Thorin racked his brains, but she was all but a mystery to him. "Next to nothing. I know you are a woman and that you have pointed ears yest you say you are no elf."

  "That is true. I am no elf. I am a Guardian, one of the last." Nema whispered, looking down at her hands. Thorin remained silent, hoping that she would explain further, and when she resumed speaking the dwarf listened to her every word. "You have not of us before, because we are known only to those whom we are to protect. When the death of a man, elf or dwarf is foretold, a Guardian is sent to keep them from harm. We cannot protect everyone, and so only those which are necessary for the safe-guarding of Middle Earth are chosen.

  "Guardians are born from the earth and from the sky. They are our parents. We are born in the air as eagles and then we fall to the earth. Flying is the first thing we learn and unless we master it within seconds we die. When we touch the earth, we transform into a form that is not quite elf and not quite man. We are so connected to the sky that we must fly regularly otherwise we suffer great pain. We transform by casting a spell with the power contain in our Tiegra," Nema paused and reached for her necklace, only remembering it was gone when her hand felt only skin. She reluctantly lowered her hand again and continued telling Thorin about herself.

  The dwarf listened intently, intrigued by what Nema was saying to him. When she had finished, Nema fell silent again, waiting for his response. 

  "So Fili still has your...what did you call it? Your Tiegra?" he asked. Although he could now see why Fili had acted in such a way, Thorin did not condone his nephew's actions.

   Nema nodded. 

   "I can get it back for you, if you would like?" 

   "No, I will be fine. He does not know it yet, but Fili is actually helping me. I doubt I would ever have let it go if he had not taken it from me." Nema smiled sadly at Thorin, and the dwarf surprised himself by putting an arm around her. He was not prone to showing such affection to anyone.

   "Don't worry, Nema. I am his uncle and his king. He will not harm you," Thorin took her hand and squeezed it. "You have my word."

   "Thank you, Thorin. I am sorry we got off on the wrong foot." Nema said. Colour had returned to her cheeks and she was beginning to feel well again. She stood and turned to the fountain, this time smiling up at the winged creatures.

  Thorin rose and looked at the statues too. "Yours?" He asked.

  Nema nodded. "Guardians, yes." She turned away from the fountain and gestured for Thorin to follow her. "Come," she said, leading him back through Rivendell, "we must away, for I believe there are plans being set to keep us here, and to prevent us from ever reaching Erebor."

   Thorin followed after her, his mind swimming with what he had just learned.