Chapter 9

***As promised, Chapter Nine! Thank you all so much for your comments! They inspire me to keep writing and I love hearing what you think! I'm trying to post at least one chapter every day so bear with me on this! Love you all!***

Their footsteps echoed around them as they made their way down the narrow gap between the boulders. They moved in silence, not daring to speak to one another lest any orcs be following. Eventually, they left the narrow passage, walking out from behind a large, thundering waterfall.

Thorin stopped walking. "You planned all this Gandalf!" he grumbled, pointing down into the valley below them. Rivendell, the last Homely House was before them, almost radiating beauty and comfort to the dwarves. Despite their prejudice against the elves, the dwarves quickened their pace, passing Thorin as they dreamed of warm beds and sumptuous banquets.

Dwalin, still holding Nema to his chest, stopped beside his leader. "Thorin, you know that I hate the elves just as much as you do," he said, "but can we not set aside our differences just for one night so we might get this little one the help she needs?"

Thorin looked at the maiden in Dwalin's arms. His heart twisted with worry when he saw how pale she had become, and how her breathing was uneven and growing increasingly strained. When Thorin had first realised where they were, he had half considered turning back. But now, as he gazed down at Nema, he decided they had no choice but to continue on to Rivendell.

Thorin nodded at Dwalin, and together they hurried down the path after their companions.

Rivendell was unusually quiet and they passed not a single elf on their way down from the mountain. They reached a stream and crossed over via a narrow white-stone bridge which led to a circular area before a set of steps. A lone elf was descending towards them, and Gandalf moved to the front to greet him. They spoke briefly in elvish before Thorin strode forward and interrupted them.

"We wish to speak to Lord Elrond!" he stated rather rudely.

"Lord Elrond is not here," replied the elf, raising his eyebrows at the dwarf.

"What do you mean he's n-" Thorin's voice was cut off by the sound of horses galloping along the stone paths towards them.

The riders guided their horses across the bridge and surrounded the dwarves in a tight circle. The dwarves pushed Bilbo and Dwalin into the middle and drew their weapons, ready to defend themselves against any attack. Lord Elrond, Master of Rivendell, dismounted and turned around to glare at the dwarves.

"Would you like to tell me why, exactly, you needed to bring a band of wargs and orcs right to our doorstep?" Elrond half shouted. He pulled off his gauntlets and thrust them into the hands of a servant. Gandalf stepped closer and spoke to him quickly in elvish. The elf dismissed his riders once Gandalf had finished speaking and frowned at the dwarves. His eyes darted from face to face, coming to rest on Dwalin. "Gandalf tells me you require my assistance."

"Aye," said Dwalin, pushing his way to the front and showing Elrond the maiden he was holding. Elrond's eyes widened for a moment before his re-gained control of his emotions and made a mask of his face. "Will you help her?" Dwalin asked.

Elrond stared at Nema's face for a long time before replying. "Of course," he snapped his fingers and two elves dressed in green robes hurried forward. "Give the girl to my healers. They will care for her."

Dwalin glanced at the elves before him, then down at Nema. "If you don't mind, I'll be the one to carry her," he stated, protectively holding Nema closer to his chest.

Elrond resisted the urge to roll his eyes and nodded at the two healers. They bowed and gestured for Dwalin to follow them. Bifur watched them go, clutching his finished carving tightly in his hands. Elrond then turned to Gandalf and conversed with him in elvish. Gandalf smiled and nodded.

Gloin narrowed his eyes at the elf and raised his axe. "What is he saying?" he growled. "Does he offer us insult?"

"No, master Gloin, he's offering you food!" sighed Gandalf, exasperated at the dwarves lack of trust.

Gloin and the other dwarves muttered amongst themselves, considering the offer. Finally, Gloin turned back to face Gandalf and Elrond. "Well, in that case, lead on!" 

Lord Elrond led them through the halls of Rivendell to a large balcony with several round tables where the dwarves were to sit and eat their fill. They sat down, and though they were famished, they only picked at the food. There was no meat, something that set the elves apart from the dwarves even more. 

Ori stared at a leaf of lettuce in disgust. Dori, who was sitting beside him, told him he should at least try it. "You might find you like it." He said.  

Ori tossed the lettuce back onto the table. "I don't like green food." 

Several elves joined them on the balcony and sat down to play their harps and lutes. Together, they created a mesmerising melody which carried itself all across Rivendell and reverberated around the valley. It elevated the mood of the dwarves, but only slightly. 

Dwalin returned to his companions and slumped down into a spare chair. The dwarves and Bilbo leaned forward, hoping that Dwalin would tell them how Nema was faring, but he merely shook his head and grabbed a wooden bowl from the table. He had been hoping to take his mind of Nema by feasting on a good hunk of meat, but the bowl contained nothing but vegetables. He half-heartedly searched the salad for any morsel of a once-living beast but then tossed it back onto the table angrily. "Where's the meat?" He cried, glaring at the elves who only ignored him and played their instruments louder.  

Fili stood up suddenly. "I need to take a walk," he blurted out, then hurried away. The dwarves and Bilbo stared after him, completely bewildered. Kili half rose out of his seat, but a look from Gandalf made him sit back down again. He wanted to go after his brother and confront him about shooting Nema, but more than anything he wanted to comfort Fili.  

Ever since the maiden had joined them on the quest, Fili had been out of sorts. As his brother and his best friend, Kili had always been able to sense when Fili was distressed and he could usually help sort out the problem. But recently...Fili had distanced himself from his brother. Kili hoped that whatever was making Fili uneasy righted itself, for all their sakes. He sent a small whisper to his brother on the wind, wishing him well for his sake, and for Nema's. Then, Kili sat back in his chair, determined to enjoy the relative peace of the evening despite the lack of meat.