Chapter 4: Out of the Light

"Okay, have any of you tried to use the sword? Ever?" 2012 Donnie asked the Rise turtles.

            "Well... no, not really." Rise Mikey answered.

            "Do you think any of you could possibly use it?" Leo asked.

            "I guess one of us could give it a shot? I mean, it looks pretty hard. Leo can't even use it properly, but he is the only one who has ever used it. Even if it was semi-successfully." Mikey explained.

            "It's worth a try, I guess. It's probably better if you guys practice in the dojo though." Leo said.

            The Rise turtles nodded and headed to the dojo.

            Meanwhile...

            Leo was just about to reach the light, when something inside him told him not to go and to just walk the other way instead.

            Leo turned around, away from the light. He looked into the darkness. It scared him. He just wanted to turn back around and go into the light...

            He turned back around and looked at the light, then into the darkness, then back at the light, then back into the darkness.

            He knew what was going on now. He would die if he entered the light...

            But it was just so comforting to him...

            But his brothers needed him... and he needed them too...

            But where were they right now? Were they trying to save him? Did they even care that he was on the brink of death? Did they even know? He knew he had portaled them somewhere. Somewhere specific. He just wondered if he did it right. And if they even knew or cared that he was gone.

            He took another step towards the light...

            "No!" He shouted out to himself as he stepped back again.

            'Don't go towards the light, Leon... Your brothers will find you and they will save you... You just have to stay out of the light... for them...'  Leo thought to himself.

            Meanwhile, back in the 2012 dimension...

            Two out of three of the Rise brothers had failed at using the sword.

            "I don't get it! Why is this so hard?!" Raph complained.

            "And we're always making fun of Leo because he can't use this thing properly?! No wonder he can't use this thing properly! It's impossible!" Donnie complained as well.

            Now it was Mikey's turn. He took the sword from Donnie's hand. He took a deep breath in and waved the sword around in a circular motion.

            It made a blue spark and for a minute, they all thought that it had worked, but the spark quickly faded, earning disappointed sighs from the seven turtles in the room.

            "Considering that none of us could even get a small portal open, what Leo does with this sword in really awesome in comparison." Rise Donnie said.

             "Well, it was at least worth a shot. Back to the lab, I guess." 2012 Donnie said.

            The 2012 turtles exited the dojo before the Rise turtles, who stayed back.

            Mikey sighed, putting the sword back in the sheath he borrowed from 2012 Leo. "What are we going to do, guys? If there is any chance that Leo is still alive, it probably won't be for long if we don't do something..."

            Meanwhile...

           It took everything in Leo to walk away from the light, further into the darkness. But it felt like the light was calling him. He ignored it. He had to stay strong for his brothers.

            He kept walking into the darkness. It felt like he was getting more tired as he continued walking and it grew harder to stay awake, as well as continue walking.

            But he continued. He continued walking until he collapsed, feeling his eyes slowly close.

            He didn't expect what happened next.

            His eyes slowly fluttered open again, the lights of New York City blinding him...