Chapter 6: Broken Trust

A.N. Thanks to Purplerebel4ever for helping me with the idea for this chapter when I had writers block!

—————————————————————————
           Leo slowly opened his eyes to see a concerned April looking at him.

            "April...?" He asked.

            "Hey, Leo. How you feeling?" April asked, concerned for her friend.

            "A little sore, but okay, I guess." Leo sat up and looked at her.

            "So... mind telling me what happened?" April asked.

            "Right. So, my brothers and I were fighting Big Mama, when we had to get out of there quickly, so I portalled my brothers to another dimension. I was about to go in after them, when Big Mama grabbed my arm, keeping me on this side of the portal, and the portal closed, grabbing my sword with it. So my brothers are stuck in this other dimension with my sword and no way to get back." Leo explained.

            "Wait wait wait... other dimension?" April asked.

            "Right. Well, you see... there's this other dimension... I know my way around it already because I've been there before. But my brothers haven't, so I hope they find who I wanted to go find because I know they can help." Leo explained further.

            "When did you go to another dimension?! And who are these people who you know can help?! And how did you meet them?! And most importantly, why haven't you told me, or your brothers?!" April asked question after question.

            Leo sighed. "It's about time I told you everything..."

            Meanwhile...

            Rise Mikey was still in shock. He didn't want to believe what he just heard.

            "There's no way Leo would keep a secret from me! I mean, I'm his only little brother, and his best friend! We made a promise to not keep secrets from each other! He wouldn't break his promise! ...Would he...?" Mikey looked at Raph with tears in his eyes.

            "It's always possible, Mikey. I wouldn't like to believe it, but it is possible." Raph said. He turned to 2012 Leo. "Exactly what happened?"

            "Well..." Leo started.

            Meanwhile...

            "So a few months ago, I snuck out of the lair and up to the surface by myself. I was on a rooftop, just messing around with my ōdachi, when I opened a portal. Curious, I stepped through the portal. And it took me to another dimension. Now, I didn't know it was another dimension... until..." Rise Leo explained to April.

            Meanwhile... (in case it isn't clear, this is switching between the two Leos explaining to the others what happened.)

            "...we ran into him while we were on patrol. It didn't take us long to realize that he was from a different dimension and shouldn't be here, but he couldn't seem to get his sword to work again to get back home, so we took him back to the lair. He kept trying to get a portal open, but to no avail. It didn't take long for..."

            Meanwhile...

           "...me to give up. I lost all hope of opening a portal. That's when the other dimension version of me came along and asked me what was wrong. I told him everything. How my brothers laugh at me every time I can't get a portal open, how I feel like I'm useless to the team, how I'm the worst brother and teammate ever, etc. He didn't seem to know what to say, so he changed the topic when it was conveniently time for their patrol, so he asked me if I wanted to join them, to which I said yes..."

            Meanwhile...

            "We took him out on patrol, where we ran into The Shredder. My brothers got captured, so Leon and I were the only ones left. We quickly retreated and made our way back down to the lair. I knew your brother was our only hope of saving my brothers. He just had to use his sword. And I had confidence in him. He just needed a bit of training. So, I trained him a little bit. After everything that he had been through, with the sword and the insecurities, he still pulled through and was able to save my brothers..."

            Meanwhile...

            "Then we got back to the lair and I opened up a portal and came home before anyone even knew I was gone." Leo finished explaining.

            April blinked. "Why didn't you tell us?!" She seemed mad.

            Leo looked down. "Well... I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want anyone to think I was a failure for accidentally portalling myself to another dimension and not being able to get myself back."

            "You shouldn't have even snuck out! What were you thinking?! You could've been killed!" April scolded.

            "I know... I'm sorry..." Leo said, looking down.

            April sighed. "It's okay. I think losing your brothers and getting hurt like this is punishment enough."

            Meanwhile...

            "So that's what happened." Leo finished explaining.

            "I... I can't believe Leo would keep something like that from us... especially after we made a promise not to keep any secrets from each other... He broke our promise... and my heart..." Rise Mikey said, a little dramatic on that last part.

            "I must say that even though feelings aren't normally my thing, I have never felt so betrayed in all of my life." Donnie chimed in, not showing any emotion, but he meant what he said.

            Raph was in pure shock. He had no idea why Leo didn't tell them. No one had any idea why he would keep that from them.

            That's when 2012 Mikey stepped into the room. "Hey, dudes, Donnie is still working on a way to get you home, but we think he's almost got it."

            He read the room and quickly realized that maybe it wasn't the best time.

            "Leon kept a HUGE secret from us, and we have no idea why..." Raph said, still in pure shock.

            "There has to be a reason, though. And I'm sure that once you get him back, he'll explain why he didn't want to tell you guys, and everything will make sense." 2012 Mikey said.

            "He's probably gone already. He did get caught by Big Mama before he could go through the portal. Who knows what she could've done to him by now?" Rise Mikey said. He was still in shock, so he wasn't showing as much emotion as he normally does.

            "Oh, come on, don't lose hope, dudes! He's your brother! Answer this question: would he ever give up on any of you if you were in his situation?" 2012 Mikey asked.

            "Well... no. He cares about us and loves us too much to give up on us." Raph answered.

            "And think about it. If he portalled here, and he was planning on coming through the portal anyway, then he was planning on telling you all about what happened, right?" 2012 Mikey reasoned.

            "That would make sense..." Donnie said, looking at Raph.

            "Mikey is right. Leo is our brother. And he wouldn't give up on us. So we aren't going to give up on him. He may've kept a huge secret from us, but we can't really judge until we know why he didn't tell us. So come on, guys, we are going to save our brother." Raph said to his two brothers with determination.

            They all exited the dojo to go check on how 2012 Donnie was doing with the way back. Except Rise Mikey. He stated back for a moment. He took the sword out of the sheath and looked at it.

            He felt like he should try the sword one more time.

            He held the sword up and waved in a slow, circular motion.

            A light blue spark flashed.

———————————————————————————
A.N. This chapter is a bit longer than the others! Whew! Hope you enjoyed!