chapter 9

I walked Y/N carefully out of the hospital and opened the car door for her. She was fussing, saying how she didn't need it but I ignored her.

"They think I was too far along to be able to tell," she explained to me

According to the test they ran, she was almost 8 weeks, meaning the last test they had done, she'd probably only been about a week pregnant.

"I don't care, I'm just happy," I grinned at her

She laughed in response and grabbed my hand in her small one and rubbed my palm.

"Let's go home,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched her as she relaxed on the couch, her legs curled underneath her, her head on my chest. The steady rise and fall moving her, and I played with her hair.

"You're gonna make me fall asleep," she mumbled

"Its ok if you do," I soothed

She shook her head and sat up from my chest, rising with a stretch and walking into the kitchen.  I followed, grabbing her from behind, making her squeal when I sat her on the counter.

"What are you wanting to eat," I asked opening the fridge door

"I want ice cream," she said enthusiastically

I laughed and grabbed her favorite from the freezer, getting two spoons and handing her the tub. She wiggled as she took the first bite, smearing some on her top lip which I licked off, making her scrunch her nose at me. 

"I love you," she smiled at me

"Love you too sweetheart,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I left her in bed the next morning, as I quietly snuck out of the house and to into town. I waved to everyone who waved back with a smile and walked around town, looking into store windows, seeing if they had what I needed and I finally found one.

Walking in hesitantly, the store keeper greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning Sheriff, how can I help you today," he asked leaning on the counter

"I'm looking for a ring," I stated proudly

"I didn't even know you were seeing anyone," he said confused

"Well, I am a private person," I said pointedly

He got the message and started showing me around, but I couldn't find anything I liked and my frustration must've showed on my face.

"I usually don't do this, but follow me," he held up a velvet dark blue curtain

I had my gun hidden so it's not like I worried so I did as he said and followed behind him. He led me through a cement hallway, smelling damp and slightly moldy and pushed a white door open. Looking in, I was stunned to see a room with shelves upon shelves of diamonds, even some sitting on a table in the middle of the room.

"This should help," he stated smugly

He walked in, gesturing me to sit down. I watched as he cleared a spot on the table and started bringing rings over to me. I looked through them, slightly disappointed that I still hadn't found one when I finally spotted it. I stared in awe as I held it in my hands, rotating it around the tip if my finger, the gold band sparkling in the light.

 I stared in awe as I held it in my hands, rotating it around the tip if my finger, the gold band sparkling in the light

"It's perfect," I breathed

"Its a peach sapphire," he said in a hushed tone

"I'll take it " I smiled

He smiled great big and rang me up, sending me on my way with a black bag in hand.

I made a few more pit stops, talking to a few locals and just enjoying the weather. There was fresh snow on the ground, sun in the sky with a few clouds.

A few kids ran past me into a bakery shop and I followed, struck by an idea. No I wouldn't put the ring in a cupcake or something, that's unsanitary, not to mention just plain nasty.

I picked up some cookies and a small cake, smiling at the lady who took my order and waited by the door.

"Nick," someone questioned

I turned my head to the side and seen my brother, Will, with his wife and kids.

"Hey guys," I said brightly

The kids ran to me, giving me a hug and telling me how they missed me.

"Word on the street is, is you bought an engagement ring," Will teased

"And if I am," I teased back

"Then may God have mercy on her soul,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we were leaving the bake shop, we all made plans to have dinner that night to hopefully celebrate or to at least let Y/N meet my family. The kids gave men a kiss on the cheek and a see ya later before hopping into the car.

"Will, I gotta say something,"

He turned to me, curiosity on his face and stepped closer to me when I gestured him forward.

"Shes a Shadysider," I whispered

"Nick," he said sternly

Growing up, we were taught that Shadyside was filled with trash, metaphorically and figuratively. That the people were nothing but drunken, drugged up, going nowhere no bodies.

"Shes not like them, shes never touched drugs or anything of the sort," I said back

"Shes also pregnant," his eyes went wide before they narrowed at me

"Marry her before she starts to show, like I did. You'll have less problems," he shook his head

"I want you both over tonight, no excuses," I nodded

I watched as he got into his car and left, leaving me alone on the sidewalk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time I had made it back to the house, it was almost one in the afternoon. Y/N should be up by now and I was hoping she wasn't so I could surprise her with lunch.

With a deep breath and the ring in my pocket, I walked into the house, noting how silent it was. She must still be asleep. The living room was empty.

"What the fuck is this," I jumped

I turned to see Y/N standing in my shirt, hair up and falling into her face. That would've been enough to distract me had I not noticed what she had in her hand.

A leather bound brown book.

Well fuck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
Sorry it took me so long to get this done. I had writers block plus a sick toddler on top of that.

Fun fact:
I actually just found out that Shadyside is a real city in my state and I got really excited. Did anyone else know it was a real place? Let me know

Enjoy
Stay safe