G. N. O.

It's Friday night and I'm still waiting for Claire to tell me where we should meet. It's 8:45pm and we had scheduled to meet at 9pm. But right as I'm thinking that, my phone rings. 

Finally

Finally. I take my coat and close the front door. 

*

I'm walking down towards Don's and I have a weird feeling. My skin shudders, and a couple of impossible sweat drops go down my spine. I keep going.

*

"Hello gorgeous!" I kinda yell when I see Claire approaching me.

"Hey!! I'm sorry I kept you waiting on the phone, a last minute patient came in and we had to stabilize him, ugh," she sighs. We walk into Don's and one of the guys shows us to our table. 

"No worries at all, I saw how incredibly busy you get in a matter of minutes, I could never," I tell Claire and I mean it: these guys get a text and they have about thirty seconds to get ready for hell to be unleashed, too nerve-wracking, I'd give up after... I'd give myself two days, then I would probably quit.

"The thing is that if it is something you really want to do, you get used to it pretty fast. I've always wanted to be a doctor, the first couple of weeks as a resident kinda hit me in the face, but then I accepted my new reality and adjusted accordingly. It gets easier," she says while taking off her coat and putting it on the back of the chair, "so tell me, how are things going for you, Jayjay?"

We're now both sat down on our chairs, waiting for someone to get our orders. I cross my legs, even though the movement is becoming increasingly difficult to do, I lean on the back of the chair and I intertwine my fingers, "you'll have to be more specific than that, Claire. So much is happening, I wouldn't even know where to start."

"How's work, family, love," she says with playful eyes, "you choose where to start, and don't forget the juicy parts, I'm all ears."

I only lightly snort for a second, "Oh well... Work is going great. We've received hundreds, if not thousands of orders. Did you know we had a 300 plus people gig during the last week of September? It was a wedding, such a crazy and beautiful day and it got us  most of our current orders! Kels and I are actually looking for a third part time worker, it's becoming hard to do everything by ourselves and with me being pregnant... It's difficult. But so incredibly satisfying!"

"Ah right, the wedding. Dr. Melendez kept talking about that wedding for days. Shaun and I were going crazy in the OR, honestly," revealed Claire. He talked about the wedding day at work? Neil Melendez? The same Dr. Melendez that I met at the hospital? Could it be possible?

"What did he say about it? I hope only good stuff, otherwise I'll have to find someone else to help me," I joke. In the meantime a waiter arrives, I order a fruit cocktail and Claire takes a glass of red wine to kick off the night. 

"He kept talking about how everything felt magical, and the amount of flowers you girls had to prepare, the photos, the ceremony...", our drinks arrive and Claire stops talking for a second, then when everything is set on the table, she raises her green eyes again and says, "...you."