One Shot: Shopping

"Kelsey! Over here!"

"Heeey Doc! Good morning."

Kelsey waved her hand at Neil, who was waiting for her on the other side of the street, in front of the flower boutique.

"Ready?"

"Heck yeah, let's do this."

The two started walking directed towards the city center, it was quite the walk, but they decided to meet up early for that reason.

"So, do you have any idea what kind of ring you wanna buy her?" Neil asked the girl.

"A pretty simple one, that was Tammy's request. I guess... I guess it'll be just like when a bride is trying on dresses, you know? They say that when it is the right dress... You know, you can feel it. I hope it'll be just like that. And uhm..." Kelsey stared at her feet for a second, "thank you for being here. Normally, I would have asked Jayjay, but she's too pregnant and it's way too cold."

"Being pregnant and low temperatures go just fine together, you could have still asked her, if you wanted to."

"No, no, it's fine. I was actually looking forward to this meeting, so you and I could catch up on some things. For old times' sake," Kelsey was referring to "the talk" they had at the wedding all those months ago, it felt like a lifetime had passed since.

Neil laughed at her words and gave her a side eye, a mischievous grin appearing on his mouth, "that night... Was the first time I had ever been warned like that by someone."

Kelsey's eyebrows shot up, "no way, I don't believe you've never met any of your girlfriends' fathers!"

"To be completely honest with you, I've had only one real girlfriend before and yes, I've met her father and it wasn't pleasant at all, but I swear he didn't scare me the way you did."

"I didn't scare you!"

"You did! I didn't want to let it show, but I was like 'damn gotta watch my back with this one' and you robbed me of a couple nights' sleep"

"Oh c'mon stop it," Kelsey's laugh almost sounded like a bark.

The two continued on their way to town, every once in a while stopping to admire the display windows decorated for Christmas.

"So, doctor Neil Melendez, tell me," Kelsey said while trying to get her nose warm again by running it with her right hand palm, "if I were to ask you now what I asked you that evening... What would you tell me?"

Neil's breath caught in his throat and his hands went into the pockets of his coat. The question Kelsey had asked him was whether he liked Jade or not. He definitely had an answer to that now.

"I'd tell you that I don't like her. I love her. With all of myself. And I'd also tell you that... I don't only love her, I love everything she comes with, little lovely imperfections, trauma, her flowers, her passion, her people... And that includes you and Bee. I hope you know I'm here for you as well, if you'll ever need me. And I hope both you and Jade believe me when I say that I'm already so much in love with this baby, I don't even know what I'd do without her."

Kelsey was looking at him intensely, his words had completely captivated her.

"I knew you were a good one. I mean, I still had to make you understand that if you had ever hurt her you would have to go through hell and... Most likely stay there too, but I knew, deep down, that you were good. First, you were a good doctor, then a good man," Kelsey would have never admitted it, but her eyes were stinging with tears, "and I'm grateful to be able to call you my friend."

Neil's hand stretched out towards her and squeezed her shoulder. The two kept on walking.

*

"Welcome to Wright & Sons, how can I help you?" said a middle-aged blond woman behind the counter. Kelsey was the one responding to the question.

"I'm looking for an engagement ring. No big, fancy stuff."

The woman made a gesture for them to follow her to a cristal display in the back of the shop, out of the sight of prying eyes. The clerk then proceeded to take out several velvety trays and started taking out some rings for them to check out.

"Do you have a budget or...?"

"Not really, I didn't even think about it, honestly. Uhm, let's say not more than $6,000? But let's see what's available first."

The woman then proceeded to show the pair some rings: rounded shaped diamonds encased in silver, little diamonds arranged to form linear bands, squared colored gems and diamonds, until something caught Kelsey's eye.

"Wait, can I see that one, please?" the girl pointed her finger at a ring that was still inside the cabinet.

"Oh right, that one too is a pretty one."

The shop assistant then took out a simple silver ring with the littlest diamond Kelsey had ever seen, but what caught her eye was its shape: it resembled a teardrop.

"Found it. I want this one," Kelsey announced. Neil nodded his head.

"It's stunning indeed."

"Gosh it really felt like it was calling my name! What a weird feeling."

"Then it's definitely the right one, my dear," the blond woman smiled and took out a black little box, "let's make this official, shall we," and she took out a little black velvety box.

*

"I don't think I've ever seen you this anxious before," Neil told Kelsey once they were outside, Kelsey holding that meaningful little bag.

"I'm looking forward to give it to her but at the same time I'm shitting my pants, Doc," fretted the girl, "what if she doesn't like it? I chose it, I like it. But I'm not the one who's supposed to wear it, am I?"

"You said it called to you. I'm sure that's a positive sign. You felt it even before actually seeing it so... I think you have nothing to worry about."

"Thanks Doc."

Neil turned his head toward Kelsey letting out a white cloud of breath while laughing, "stop calling me Doc, it's weird."

"I love it. Doc. Doooc. Hey Doc!" and she lightly punched his shoulder, "You'll have to live with it, I'm sorry. By the way, Doc, what about your Christmas gift?"

"I have a thing or two in mind."

"Would you mind fill me in?"

And just like so Neil and Kelsey kept on walking, the first one spilling secrets about gifts hoping they'd remain between them, the second one listening and joking around at the same time.