The trip

"We're doing what?"

"We're leaving. Tomorrow morning. Three days, I'm not risking more due to you being close to the due date. Kelsey knows, she'll take care of the boutique in these days prior to New Year's Eve."

"We're leaving tomorrow morning and you didn't happen to tell me that so that I could at least prepare a bag?!"

"Kelsey took care of that too. She knew you'd freak out. Everything's been packed a week ago."

"Does my bag by any chance contain my favorite pink sweatshirt?" 

"I have no idea, if you wanna check the bag is hiding at the back of your seasonal coat wardrobe."

I quickly stand up and Neil follows me, so that he can help me if I need him to. When I get my hands on the bag, I open the zip and let out a giggle, "I WAS GOING MENTAL."

"Over a sweatshirt?"

"Over a sweatshirt, yes," I let out a sigh of relief and bring the pink fabric to my nose, "ahhh I missed you so much," I whine, just like a baby who's just got back their favorite teddy bear.
I can feel Neil's eyes on me, burning through my clothes. I turn around and I find him there, leaning on the door, arms crossed in front of his chest, a grin on his face.

"Happy now?"

Only my eyes are visible as I'm still holding then sweatshirt to my face, I nod, then I put it on the mattress beside me and walk closer to that crazy man watching me. I raise my arms, encircling his neck, I stand on my tip toes are I ask him, "where are we headed by the way?"

"Yosemite."

"The National Park?!" I squeal and he nods his head.

"I booked the tiniest private cabin I could find. They sent me pictures and it's fantastic, I can't wait to see your reaction. It's right on the edge of a forest and there's an unruly meadow in front of it that ends up in a little pond surrounded by rocks."

"It sounds like a fairy-tale," I whisper, already trying to imagine the scenery and the smells and noises of nature.

"You have heart shaped eyes right now. I'm second-guessing my choices, will I be able to see you or will you disappear into the wild for three days straight?"

"If I decide to wander off, will you be my caveman?"

"Are there prerequisites to fulfill?"

"Nah, being there is enough."

"Okay, then. I'll be your caveman."

We then share a kiss and get ready to go to bed.

*

Highways have never been this clear. We're on one of the few cars on the road as we make our way to Yosemite Park. The weather is crisp and the sky is already a lighter shade of night-blue. I'm still sleepy after all the exercise I've done in the last few days, but the cooler temperatures are invigorating. I don't wanna fall asleep and leave Neil alone in his thoughts, so I turn on the radio, its volume not so loud that it would drown our voices and while we drive to Yosemite, conversation flows. Words come out of me that I didn't think I'd have been able to enunciate, but they do. They're heavy words, but for the first time, I let it all go with a light heart.

I tell him all about my early days. 

I tell him about my dad and how I have no idea where he is now.

I tell him about my mum and how she never spoke a word of the man.

I tell him about my brother.

My sweet little brother, gone way too soon because of SIDS, who left a permanent whole in my mum's chest.