Mexican Night

I'm about to close the boutique when my phone rings.

"Hey, you close?"

"Yes, I'm just around the corner, you ready?"

"Yeah, I just have to close up everything and set the alarm. Ah! I can see you."

I hang up, close the cash register, make it to the door, close that one too and then I set the alarm. Neil's car is behind me, ready to make its way home. Words cannot describe how much excited I am and nervous too. What if I don't like his cooking? I'm already cringing inside. I'm so scared.

I turn around and make my way to the car, whose passenger's door has already been opened by an all too gentlemanly Neil, when I'm close enough I give him a peck on the lips.

"Hi."

"Hello beautiful, how's it going?" he asks me with a flirty smile on his face. We get in the car and when he starts driving we keep on talking.

"Everything's good, I had a blast this morning with Kelsey, she kicked out a lady. If words could physically wound you, that woman would be pretty much dead, I'm sure."

"Tell Kelsey not to send in more patients, we've got enough to do as it is."

"Busy day?"

"Yep. Did you hear about the crash that happened at the intersection of East Santa Clara and 10th streets?"

"Didn't hear about it in the news yet, but if it happened around eleven this morning I think we've heard the sirens."

"Yep, they arrived at the hospital an hour later. Three dead people, five badly injured that had to undergo surgery and two were lucky enough to only have a broken bone or two, nothing to really worry about in those situations."

My oh my, how was he even still awake? He must have been so tired.

"I'm only tired about work. Surgery drains my brain, but I'm feeling fine, so don't you dare sabotage my dinner!"

"I would never sabotage your dinner! I was just wondering whether you would have liked me to cook, so you could rest a little. You can do your specialties another time."

"No señorita, not gonna happen. I'm cooking for you."

"Oh please, feel free to talk spanish whenever you want." Such a turn on.

"¿Te gusta cuando hablo español?" he says, briefly taking his eyes off the road. I look at him with a scolding look, he laughs and less than five minutes after, we're at his place.

Once out of the car, we reach his front door and when the door is finally open, he says, "Welcome to my humble abode."

"Humble?" everything in here looks modern, shiny, perfect and so expensive. The furniture is a white, black and brown selection, the kitchen counters reflect the light from the street lamps and every wall of the house has giant windows. Orchids would grow amazingly well here.

Neil doesn't respond to my obviously sarcastic question, he just looks up at me with a smirk on his face. He then gets close as I'm about to take my coat off.

"Here, let me help you," he says while taking my coat off and putting it in a closet near the entrance.

"This whole place feels like it has just come out of a home decor magazine," I tell him while I go about inspecting the first room, made of a gigantic kitchen and just three steps below there's the sitting room.

"Oh my you have a fire place?!"

"I don't even know why I bothered buying one, I never used it. But I guess this winter I'll be able to finally enjoy it given the temperatures we're getting."