Getting Things Done

TRIGGER WARNING:

This chapter will include mentions of:

- domestic violence

- mental abuse

- violence

- sexual harassment

If any of the previous topics might trigger you in any way, please skip this chapter and the next one as well.

*
*

December 31st - 4:03 pm

The door gently closes behind me and I turn my back towards it slowly, already expecting to see a well known face. He laughs again. I could recognize that devilish laugh anywhere.

"Hello beautiful, long time no see."

"Brennan," I say through gritted teeth, "it felt like everything but a long time. Weren't you outside my door just a couple of weeks ago?"

He drops his head, his dark smile vanishing. "Oh yes, that," he looks me in the eyes again, I freeze, my feet unable to move, my hands shaking, my brain malfunctioning, "I've had fun doing that," he says, bobbing his head non stop.

Bile comes up my throat, tears are threatening to come out, "why? Why did you do that?"

"Because," the word exploding through his teeth, "I want him to suffer as I suffered."

"You suffered?" I gasp, incredulity coating my voice.

"Hell yeah I did. You made me feel like shit Jayjay. You took me to court? What for? A slap on the face?"

"You did much more than that and you know it. Don't pretend like any of it was my fault."

"You were just a tiny scared girl... a normal one wouldn't have done anything like what you did to me."

"Keep telling yourself that, Brennan."

I'm trying to think, I'm trying to clear my mind of anything unrelated to this situation, I'm trying to remember whether I brought my phone down here, I'm desperately trying to remember anything that could help me. But I can't.

"You! You don't get to tell me what to do, alright?!" he yells and I can't help, but close my eyes and turn my head away. Bad idea.

"So you're still a scared little girl, aren't you," he slowly enunciates, as he starts walking closer, "You're still so gorgeous... Makes me wanna ruin your face so that I'll be the last one to enjoy the sight of it."

He's just one breath away, he raises his hand, putting it on the side of my face tracing the shape of my head until he reaches the tip of my chin, he then puts the few loose strands of my hair behind my ears.

"But I wanna wait a little bit... Let me see it for a little while longer, okay?"

It almost seems like he's talking to himself, almost as if he's trying to convince himself to stop before ruining a toy. It's terrifying.

"You know... I've been hiding down here for some days now... I was waiting for the right moment, I thought it'd never happen and then today you left the house with... Him... And the super huge accident happened and I told myself 'hey today is my lucky day!'," he exclaims, then finishes his sentence with a low growling voice, "and I cut the power off."

"And here I am," I manage to say, then with a hidden courage I didn't know I had I tell him, "clever. Very clever. This might be your best work so far."

"This is going to be the ultimate work baby. Today I'm finishing what I started. Today," he says, his eyes wild, "I'm getting things done."

"What do you mean 'finish what you started'?" I ask genuinely surprised.