The Truth of the New

"Well...", Hover cleared his throat, "it seems that there is a big difference between our multiverses."

"What are the differences?" Cross asked curiously. Killer could see that each of them was excited to find out.

“For one thing, our multiverse has mutated. I am not informed of the entire process as Dreamtale did not exist at the time. But there was this one AU. I don't know if it had a different name in the past, but today it is only known as Apocalypsetale. It is one of the oldest AUs ever, almost as old as Alphatale. In Apocalypsetale, there was war between humans and monsters after the monsters came back to the surface. The war has been going on for centuries. However, humans had used an atomic bomb to wipe out the monsters. However, this had the opposite effect. Monsters have mutated. Monsters got bigger, stronger, more durable, and much more instinct-based. At first it was limited to the AU. But when the first multiversal traveler came to this AU, the now radioactive magic escaped and spread throughout the multiverse. AUs created afterwards were mutated from the start. The few AUs older than Apocalypsetale slowly mutated themselves. In the end, the entire multiverse was mutated and became what it is today.” Killer listened attentively to Hover. He was fascinated by it. An entire multiverse has mutated? How could he not find it exciting?! Even if Killer wonders what the mutation brought with it.

“The mutations can, however, be divided into two categories. Internal and external mutation. Love, Despair and I have an external mutation. This species is also found far more frequently in the multiverse. Most of the time, if you weren't already born as a Lamia, Selkie or Mer, the mutation shows up in the form of an animal that represents your soul. I am not aware of many monsters with an internal mutation. The only one that immediately comes to mind is the Sans of Apocalypsetale. The bones of this Sans became pure, highly concentrated poison. It would be a miracle to survive being touched by this Sans. However, that was not all. The magic of this Sans has turned into highly concentrated acid. A little touch is enough and the magic will eat its way through everything. However, the mutation is not immediately noticeable. It only develops properly in puberty. However, I am not so sure about yours. I can sense a connection between your souls and Despair's. So it could be that his magic can affect your mutation.”

Now Killer was speechless. He thought that the appearance of the twins and Love might be AU-related. But with every monster that had such extra limbs? Killer couldn't wait to get his. He hoped, however, that it would be at least half as beautiful as Despairs. However, Killer could see that Hover wasn't finished, so he listened intently.

“But the mutation did more than that. When monsters mutated, a gene that had previously been dormant and passive was awakened. It is commonly known as the ABO gene. Basically, this gene determines whether you are an alpha, beta, or omega. Each of these three groups has its own “task”. Alphas are the leaders of the pack. They are the pack's fighters and the ones primarily responsible for protecting the pack. Then there are the betas. Betas are the planners. They support the pack in every possible way. And last but not least, there are the omegas. Contrary to popular belief that omegas are basically housewives and are utterly submissive and have to do whatever their alpha tells them to do, they are far more than that. Omegas are mostly responsible for protecting the children, yes. But that's just one of their jobs. On the other hand, they are responsible for keeping the pack mentally and physically healthy to the best of their ability. Their role is just as important, if not more important, than that of the alphas. While a pack can function without alphas, it normally cannot without an omega. But as with the mutation, what you are does not become apparent until puberty. Although one can make assumptions beforehand, the gene shows up in childhood through some characteristics. One feature is size.” Hover took a breath before continuing the next part of the explanation.
“The standard size for an Alpha is around 3 meters. Betas, on the other hand, settle between 2.5 and 3 meters. Omegas rarely exceed the 2.5 meter mark and mostly stay between 1.9 and the mentioned 2.5 meters. If a child up to the age of 13 is taller than 1.60 meters, one can assume that they will become an alpha. The same principle can also be applied to betas and omegas. Another characteristic is behavior. Even in childhood, omegas show a tendency to look after their group of friends and younger siblings very lovingly. Alphas, on the other hand, can show smaller, territorial claims even as children, be it their room or a person they like. Betas are more difficult to identify by behavior because they can show both alpha and omega tendencies. But of course such standards cannot always be right. There are always exceptions that are not up to standard. Despair and I are both alphas, but Despair used to be very small and his behavior was more like an omega than anything else. So the villagers treated him accordingly. Their shock when Despair became an alpha was wonderful to watch. And while Despair may be one of the biggest alphas I've seen, some of his characteristics are still as they were before.”