15. Something Different

IM BACK!!!!!

Yall still mad at me?

I'm sorry... I love yall!! 😘😘

Excuse the mistakes.

Jordynne

"Daddy!" I yelled, coming in the house. I ran into the den where he was watching tv. "Daddy!" I tackled him with hugs and kisses. "Im so happy to see you. I'm sorry I blew up on you earlier. I love you so much." I squeezed him, letting my tears fall.

"Jordynne, it's okay baby. Why are you crying?"

"I had a bad dream and I thought I lost you forever. I don't care if you're a drug dealer."

I heard him laugh as he rubbed up and down my back. "Look at me honey." I pulled back, looking at him in the eye. "Never will I ever, slang to the point were it'll put my family in harms way. It's not that deep. I'm doing this to provide, not make a living."

My brother Justin came in and I jumped on him. "Justin!! I missed you!"

"Dang girl. I only went to take the trash out," he laughed hugging me back.

"I know. I just love you guys and I don't tell you that often but I do."

"I love you too scrub," he said, rumbling his hand in my hair. "Stoppp! You punk!" We play boxed around the living room as my dad laughed. I still can't get over that dream. Was it a premonition or was it just me overthinking. I don't know but I'm willing to take that risk, maybe prevent some of it from happening. This was going to be very interesting.

Justin's hard ass hand across my face snapped me out of my thought process. "Ain no daydreamin bih."

So much for a loving moment.

-

August

"How was it?" My mama asked as soon as I stepped in the house. I kicked my shoes off and put the by the door before walking over to her. I was not in the mood to get smacked upside the head fa walking my "dirty feet" on ha carpet as she would say.

"It was cool. Jordynne was straight. She uptight tho."

My mama laughed, taking a sip of her wine. "Oh, yeah. She plays no games."

"I see. Ion know why I gotta be a janitor tho. I can make eno-"

"No, Yung. That lifestyle only gives you two options; prison or the graveyard. I lost one son ain tryna lose too."

I sighed, running my hand down my face. "Mama yeen gon lose me, aight? Ain going nowhere but a janitor ain something I wanna do."

"You watch yo tone August. You not going back to the streets and you damn sho not going back to Nawlins, so you can kiss that shxt goodbye!" She brushed past me, walking to the back. I shook my head and went to sit on the back porch.

Sometimes I feel like she can't stand me because I took after my bruda and because we look so much alike. I still fault myself sometimes but I had to learn, it's shxt you can't control and that was one of those moments. I lost myself to the streets.

I pulled my phone out my pocket, calling my cousin.

"Oohhh, shxt. Look who decide to pick up they phone. Nigga leave the Nola and don know how to act," Sneak shxt talked as soon as he answered. I just fanned him off.

"Aye you black bitch, ain call to hear allat."

"I know yo ole long chin head ahh ain tryna crack on my skin. I can pull yo hoes tho."

I laughed one of those ugly laughs. "Aight, let Imani hea ya ass. You gon be one burnt black ass."

"Yea. Yea. Wassam foo?"

I sighed, looking back to see if my mama was behind me. I know what she said but I'm not mopping floors.

"I need you to set up a meeting with yo connect here. I'm tryna get on."

-

Jordynne

"How does this look?" I asked Meisha as I came out of the dressing room. I did a spin for her and she frowned.

"Not enough skin."

I rolled my eyes. "We're going to a comedy club, not a strip club. I think this is cute." I twirled around and looked at my backside. Hell it was short enough that's for sure.

"Who is this dude and why you buying a new outfit for him?"

"I wanna make a good second impression," I smiled, going back to change out of the dress. "You act like you've never bought a new outfit for a date."

"Uh, yeah cause the nigga had money."

I sucked my teeth. "Well I have class. I'm not a gold digga."

"What color lip stick is that? I just love the shade," she smirked, looking at her phone. I laughed, coming out the dressing room with the dress and my purse. "Let's go. I'm hungry."

I made it to the check out when someone lightly grabbed my arm. I turned and came face to face with August.

"Oh, hi. Surprise seeing you here."

He smiled, revealing his dimple. "Ain too good to shop at Dillard's. I just needed a get a shirt fa an interview. What you up to?"

I looked down at my dress and felt kinda embarrassed. "Oh, I just wanted to get a dress." Meisha cleared her throat.

"August this is Meisha, Meisha this is August."

She smirked, looking at me. "Nice to meet you August."

"Likewise. Jordynne I'll catch you later. I really gotta get going. Y'all ladies have a nice day." He walked out the store and of course my eyes followed him.

"That's August? Your boss Angela's son August?"

I nodded, biting my lip. "Like the month."

She fanned herself. "Chile, they say it's always hotter in August."

"Goodbye ma'am." I laughed her foolishness but I wonder, how hot is August?

----