23. Epilogue: The Park

Excuse all mistakes!!!! Finale. Thank you for reading.

8 years later

Jordynne

"Momma, do you wann- oooww look at you hot mama," Autumn whistled, stepping all the way in my room. I laughed at her foolishness, mainly because I was in my bathrobe with rollers in my head. I sat down in front of my vanity, preparing to do my make up. Autumn sat down beside me, watching my every move.

"You're so pretty momma."

"Awww, thank you my beautiful baby," I smiled, hugging my daughter. She looked more and more like August everyday and sometimes it's hard to look at her without having a piece of my heart breaking. I hadn't seen or spoken to him since that day at the prison. Not a phone call, a birthday or an anniversary card. Nothing.

"Don't cry. You always cry."

"They're tears of happiness because you're my angel."

"Well you need to stop crying because you look ugly doing it." I turned my head to see JP standing in the doorway smiling. I threw a roller at him, laughing. "Shut up stupid."

"Uncle Justin!" Autumn got up, running to him damn near knocking him over. He stumbled back, wrapping his arms around her. "Sup Unc baby?"

"Nothing. I gotta A on my spelling test."

"Shid yo-"

"Language Justin!"

"Dang, my bad fat. Ya momma grouchy Aut!" They giggled to themselves, walking out of my room. I shook my head and began to get myself ready for the day.

-

"Autumn Nicole, if you don't come clean up this mess, you're not going anywhere!" I yelled from the living room, looking at the million markers and construction paper scattered across my floor.

"Calm down fat. It's just art," Justin said coming out of the kitchen. He was eating a sandwich and drinking a beer. I pinched the bridge of my nose. Sometimes I just wanna scream, I don't know who's more mature, my 27 year old brother or my 8 year old daughter.

"Justin, why are you eating my food and why aren't you at home, with your wife?"

He stale faced me, putting his food down. "Ha ha, funny. Well my wife is at work and I'm here because my niece invited me. What's going on with you? Why you so snappy? You pregnant?"

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "By what? Don't nobody want me. I'm a single mother and I just happen to be off limits to what seem like every nigga in Dallas thanks to ya boy." My anger just came from anywhere. It is possible to love and hate someone at the same time. That's exactly how I felt now.

Justin grabbed my face making me look him in the eye. "Whoa, whoa. What's really going on Fat?"

"2,922."

"What?"

"Today makes two thousand, nine hundred and twenty-two days. No phone call, no card, nothing. It's like I don't exist to him and that's not fair Justin," I yelled as my emotions took over. I was dying inside. I held it together for so long but I couldn't anymore.

"I-I-I have to look at my daughter e-e-everyday and be reminded of him. I feel like a fool because I still wear my engagement ring. How p-pathetic is that?" I looked down at my hand, moving my engagement ring around with my thumb. It's the only hope I had.

Justin pulled me to him, letting me cry on his shoulder. I know sometimes he blames himself for Aug getting caught but I don't blame him. They live by a code that I will never understand. I know I lost Aug but I don't think I could handle losing my brudda too.