Book or Fuel

As Lucy predicted, and too Jess' surprise, the book was a huge hit. Everyone liked it that could get their hands on it. It wasn't Good Morning America news or anything but the word was getting out about it. 

So much so, that there was a convention being held in Philadelphia not too far from Stars Hallow. Lucy made sure that Jess took time to visit Luke when he could, and surprisingly, he had been getting better about those visits. 

Life with Jess was what Lucy needed, she was convinced. She needed the stability and now that they were actually making a profit on the book, they were living somewhere bigger than a closet. 

The only problems that seemed to arise were when she was asked to read his book. She still refused. She wasn't going to be involved in that sense, not when everyone was taking such a liking to the characters, and her trauma. Lucy also didn't see what reading the book had to do with them being happy, it always seemed to upset Jess, but she couldn't figure why. He could write another book and she would happily read that one, she just couldn't understand why reading this one was so important. And she didn't take pleasure in re-living her past. 

It's not fun reading a book when you know the ending. 

Nonetheless, Jess would take his trips to see Luke when he could, usually when they would get in an argument. But other than that everything was turning out to be a great success. 

"Did you want to pop into town before the convention?" Lucy asked him as they drove. Jess smirked already way ahead of you, "Where do you think we're going?"

"Yes!" she cheered. "I haven't seen Luke in so long." she said relieved. Acting as unofficial manager to Jess' career was keeping her from traveling as often as he did. "Are you excited to see everybody?"

"Probably not as excited as you are." He chuckled as he drove. 

___

She looked around the place as Jess parked a little ways away from a nice big mansion. She looked around confused. "Uh..Jess. Please tell me this isn't the part where you say you've secretly been a Prince of Whales the whole time?" she looked around. 

"No." he chuckled, "We're picking up a friend for dinner." he said. 

"Oh?" she said as she watched him get out of the car. She was told to wait in the car as he went to go grab the mystery person. Who did Jess know that lived in the Upside of Hartford? She was surprised he knew anyone outside Stars Hallow. Lucy didn't even know anyone outside of Stars Hallow. 

After a couple of minutes she saw Jess heading out of the gates of the mansion without the mystery person. He got in and sighed softly; his demeanior drastically changed from when he exit the car beforehand. 

"Everything okay?" she asked. 

"We're following them there." he said; starting the car.

"Oh." she nodded awkwardly. "Who's them?" she asked.

"Rory." 

She paused slightly. Rory was living in Hartford? They were picking up Rory for dinner? 

"And her boyfriend." 

___________

"I have appetizers. I have a bag of chips you just have to check the expiration date." Logan, Rory's boyfriend, attempted to joke. 

"I'm pretty good with this place." Jess mumbled. Lucy looked next to her at Jess. His mood seemed off this entire night. Wasn't this his idea to pick them up in the first place? Was she missing something else?