Could You Imagine

(4 years Later):

Luke looked at the time and sighed. She was going to be late again, he thought. He went up the stairs and into his apartment complex. He prepared his lungs, ready to yell at her when he stopped.

There on what used to be Jess' bed, was Lucy. She was laying there; hugging her pillow as she silently cried.

Luke looked down briefly; exhaling his prepared breath as his anger faltered. Luke reached out a hand gently instead and pat her shoulder, "Lucy? We have to open soon." he told her. 

Lucy sniffed and wiped her eyes quickly. She slowly sat up averting his gaze. "....Right. Right I should." she breathed out. "Where's Caesar?"

"He has the day off remember?" he sighed.

Lucy nodded. "Right.." she got up slowly and pulled her day clothes from the drawer. As she tossed them onto the bed, Luke noticed something else sitting there in it's place. Jess' book. He bit his lip hard. "You're not reading it again, are you?" he asked.

Lucy looked down ashamed and nodded. "I...I don't know it was just sitting there and..." she sighed, "I caught wind of his new book coming out soon..I just wanted to hold onto the old Jess a little while longer I guess." she breathed out. 

Luke looked at her red swollen eyes. She couldn't work today. Especially not in a kitchen with hot stoves and sharp knives. Not the best environment. She was really starting to concern him. "Lucy..?"

She looked at him finally.

Luke took a breather and sighed, "Don't worry about working today okay? I've got it covered." he said. 

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yeah, just uh," he took the book from the bed, "Just spend your time wisely okay? Relax." he said before taking the book with him back down to the diner. 

With every day he saw Lucy like that, the more and more he wanted to yell at his nephew. This was so unlike him. The worst kind of hurt he could inflict on someone. And someone who he supposedly cared about. Poor Lucy. He thought. 

He heard the bell ding on the door and looked up at the first customer of the day. Lorelai and Rory.

"Where are all the people?" Lorelai asked. 

"Not here yet," he grunted, "You guys are early." he sighed. 

"You seem chipper today." she sat down at the counter. Luke pulled out his little notepad. "What do you want?"

"Hello Lorelai, how is your day? Is that a new haircut?" Lorelai said sarcastically at how quickly he was to dismiss her company. Rory sat down beside her, "Egg white omelet please." she said gently. 

"What are you doing in town." Luke grunted.

"Visiting." she shrugged, "Why? Am I not allowed?"

"I'm pretty sure you know why." Luke looked at her pointedly. Lorelai looked at the two of them, "Um...hello? Some people who didn't see last week's episode would like a recap here." she intruded. 

"Nothing, it's nothing." Rory said quickly. "It's not nothing," Luke said and set his writing pad down, "You know you have some nerve coming back into this town right now. Some bigger nerve for walking into this diner." he said; leaning over the counter slightly. 

"Could you not be so hostile with my daughter and tell me what the hell is going on with you?" Lorelai stopped him. 

Luke looked at her, "Your daughter went and stole Jess from Lucy behind her back." he said.