Luke's

"I know you said you were moving back over the phone, but what I never got was as to why." Luke said; helping set Lucy's box down. She set another down and sucked in a breath as she stood straight. 

"Right." she exhaled, "Well, I'm not going to pretend to be the angel. I wouldn't read his book until he changed it, and I wouldn't let him publish it until he did." 

Luke frowned slightly, "You still haven't read it?"

"Nope." she popped the "p" as she spoke. 

Luke watched her unpack into the living space that used to be Jess' and contemplated what was going on. Sure people were known to grow up and eventually grow apart. But Jess and Lucy? Never had he felt so sure about a couple in his life. They understood each other more than he could understand anything else. 

"Plus, I was just growing restless." she shrugged. She continued placing books and other random items on the shelf. "It's time for me to get a move on don't you think?" she asked. 

"A move on." he sighed. 

"Yes, I need to make a name for myself. Jess had, it's time I do to. I need structure. Not just moving place to place with book signings. Right?" she looked at him. Luke looked at her and slowly nodded, "I suppose." he said. 

"Can I work in the diner?" she asked.

"Isn't that the opposite of making a name for yourself?" 

"It would be getting me on my feet to do so." she said. 

Luke once again continued to stare at this new Lucy infront of him and nod like a silent idiot. "Yeah go ahead, I'm gonna give Jess a call."

"Why?" she said abruptly. 

"Just wanted to check in." he said raising an eyebrow at her. 

"Right, as you should." she chuckled awkwardly and continued to unpack. He shook his head slightly before going down stairs to the phone. He dialed the number, initially wanting to console his nephew. He knew how hard he fell for Lucy, it would suck if he couldn't get what he needed to done because of it. 

He waited for the phone to stop ringing. When he heard his nephew he cleared his throat, "Jess, heya buddy."

"-Luke, it's not a good time right now-" he went to say.

"No- but I bet that it's not." he sighed. "Look I'm calling to reach out, I know this normally doesn't happen-"

"Hardly ever-"

"-But I think that there is something going on you might actually want to talk about. Or at least hear me impart bullshit wisdom on." he sighed. 

"What is it Luke." Jess sighed already done with this. 

"Lucy told me what happened. She's here. Living here actually." he said. The line went dead quiet. So quiet he could here the slightest bit of movement, as if Jess were sitting down for this news. "She told you." he replied.

"Yeah everything, she told me everything, and listen. Just because she doesn't want you to publish the book, doesn't mean you shouldn't-"

"What? She said what?"

"Yeah, the whole reason she's down here. She dumped you over the book right? She wouldn't read it." he said.

Jess paused once more. No movement could be heard through the silence. "Jess." Luke said trying to pull him back to Earth. Jess cleared his throat, "Listen, Luke. I don't know how to tell you this but.. that's not the reason." he sighed. 

"Lucy broke up with you right?"

"I-it was mutual.."

"Sure you would say that." he chuckled, "But we both know-"