Transylvanian Lullaby

Lucy tried keeping her eyes open. Ironically, the night she gets the least amount of sleep is the night before her big test in class. And not only did she not get the amount of sleep she needed to be well rested, but the little sleep she did get didn't help. 

She was having repeating nightmares of Him.

Lucy traced her finger in the styrofoam coffee cup she had and tried to stay awake in class. It was her fourth period, waiting for lunch to start up. 

"Lucy...." she heard behind her.

She ignored it.

"Lu-cy~" she heard again. She finally turned around to the person calling her. Directly behind her; Jess was leaning forward on his desk with the usual smug look. She immediately turned back around. "Oh come on, Lucy. You're not still mad at me are you?"

Lucy clenched her jaw. She took her earbuds out of her bag and put them in her ears. She checked the time, only having fifteen minutes left of class. She turned the volume up and tried to calm her emotions with a string orchestra. Transylvanian Lullaby, it was called.

When the bell finally rung, she hurried off to the field for lunch, but found Jess had been tagging along. "Lucy, just talk to me, okay?"

She walked faster.

She tried focusing on the violin playing. But Jess was a bit more persistent than a violin's E string. 

"You can hit me, scream at me, go ahead. Just at least say something." he said. She turned around to him her eyes red from exhaustion and from crying all the other nights she had alone.

 "What do you want me to say, huh?" she said; her eyes getting glossy. "That I'm upset because I needed someone? That I needed someone's help?? Your help!? Well I am. And I did need it, Jess, I need you to help me. Not hand me a slab of pie and surround me with people acting like everything's okay!" she breathed out trying not to cry.

"Why were you so worked up anyway, huh?"

"-That's besides the point Jess!" she looked at him, "I needed you. I trusted you, and you just used me as an excuse to hang out with Rory!"

"Did not!" he said.

"Did too!" she said.

"Alright say I did! What's it matter to you?" he yelled back.

"It doesn't!" she said.

"No?"

"No!" she tried keeping the upper-hand in the argument and failing miserably. It was noticeable on both sides.

"If this is so damn important then why not you just talk to your parents about your problems! They're the ones that actually wanna hear it!" he retaliated.

Lucy went to yell at him again before stopping herself short. She shook her head and looked down as the tears fell. "Just leave me alone Jess. I don't want to see you." she put her earbuds in and quickly walked away. 

Lucy left on that E string.