First day in Konoha.

"Are you fucking kidding me??" Shikamaru slammed his fists angrily on the table.

His face twisted, forming several expressions at once. It looked somewhat comical. One look and even a fool can tell, that the Nara wasn't just annoyed, he was livid.

But most of all.... He was scared.

"You... You gave away half of your chakra... For an experiment?!"

A deep silence answered him while the man in question formed his reply.

"Calm down Shikamaru... I saved a whole village in return."

Naruto mentioned. Cold as ice. But this time the Nara was persistent.

Sure Shikamaru held back, he tried to at least.
He won't shoo away the fact that the blonde just barely lost his daughter. But that alone doesn't give him a reason not to be interrogated.

"Let me get this straight... The land of soil... You're telling me you restored it?"

The land of soil was known be to dead and barren since a decade now.
Many trials were made, tho the soil couldn't be restored of its natural nutrient.

Ironic to its name, there was something fundamentally wrong with the place. It never had a good vibe to it.
'It was a gate to death' — or so the people have titled it.

Most of its residents had already deserted the village, Shikamaru couldn't see the need behind this attempt.

Moreover, considering the amount of chakra their Hokage possessed, Shikamaru had a hard time believing it was a success.
Even mishandling a fraction of it could lead to severe destruction , let alone half of it.

Naruto's actions and words didn't made sense to him.
They never did, ever since a long long time now.

Besides, where did he even get the equipments to perform such a feat?

"The scientific ninja team came up with it..."

As if reading the Nara's face, Naruto answered slowly.

Shikamaru cocked a brow. Of course.

That explains the earlier blast at the headquarters. Almost putting every victim involved onto their death beds.

Shikamaru's lips twitched, annoyance and worry written all over him. So many words muffled inside his head, so many questions, so much doubt.

"You're playing a dangerous gamble.. Naruto." He decided to say.

"You do know that Katasuke is fighting for his life right now? We barely managed to save the others."

Blue eyes lifted up to him. Glassy and tired, that has never changed. Shikamaru met silence.

"I... I of all people don't know what you're thinking anymore,Naruto... " He sighed massaging his temples rigorously.

"That... makes me anxious. I only care for the village's and your welfare , infact we all do ,you do know that right?"

He stated as if not taking a 'no' for an answer.

Naruto's gazes landed back to his table. Lips turning upwards as he forced a small smile. Trying to force something out of him.

Shikamaru's hopes raised a little. Maybe this time he'll get something out of the blonde.

Naruto's breath grew heavier as a familiar fragrance filled the room. Sweet and soft, making his nose tingle.