Chapter 12: I'd Die For You

*A/N; If I didn't make it clear before, Ross and Laura are now dating in this book. If that point was not addressed clearly I take blame. Hopefully now everything is clear. Enjoy!*

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

*A Few Days Later*

Laura's POV

I sat at my desk in my bedroom with the dorkiest grin plastered on my face. These past few days have been great ever since Ross and I became a thing. It makes the times we spend together even more special. I really enjoy going to the castle and hanging out with him. Even if the day is gloomy, he puts some light into it.

But for me to see him that required sneaking out a few times after dark, having Grandma stall for me or waiting for dad to get called to the office. It's been tricky, but worth it seeing Ross.

There was a soft knock at my door. "Laura, can I come in?" It was my father.

"Yeah, it's open." I say snapping out of my daydream of Ross and I together. The door slowly creaked open. My father stepped in slowly then shut the door behind him. "Laura... I think we need to talk."

I sat up a bit straighter. That's never good. "Okay..."

He folds his arms over his chest and leans up against the wall. "Why have you been going over to Grandma's house so often recently?"

I swallowed hard. "Is it, bad that I'm going over there...?"

"No no, that's not what I meant." He says. "I'm just wondering."

I slowly shake my head. "Just... visiting her."

He shrugs and nods. "Alright." The tone in his voice indicates me he isn't buying my statement. "How about when you take you're 'walks' around town. Where do you go then?"

My palms grow sweaty as my heart beat increases. "J-Just around... Down the street, all over really."

He nods. "Okay. Do you remember Bill? My friend Bill from college?"

I nod. Bill and my father have been great buddies for years. He's like part of the family. "Yeah."

"Well..." He starts. "Now I don't know for sure, but him and I were talking, and he said something about thinking he saw someone entering the woods. Someone that looked a lot like a teenage girl."

It's getting really hard to try and keep calm. "I haven't been near the woods. After all, it is forbidden, and I know better than to go there."

Hopefully that sounded smoother than what I heard scramble out of my mouth. My throat grows dry and I suddenly feel like I haven't had a drink of water in years.

My father nods his head. "You're absolutely right. No one should ever go beyond the fences. Anyone who enters knows if they were to get caught, the punishments awaiting them would be like hell."

It suddenly grows extremely hot in the bedroom. "Yep. You're right. They'd get into some serious trouble."

My father studies me for a moment. I find it hard to make eye contact with him. He then lets out a huffing sigh. "Well, just wanted to make sure you weren't poking your nose into trouble. I don't want you getting hurt or going down the wrong path. I know you know better than to do stupid things like that."

I feel guilt start eating away at me. I feel horrible lying to my father like this, but I'm doing it to keep Ross and his family alive and safe. I would never forgive myself if I slipped that they loved out in the woods.

I look back up at my father, finally looking into his eyes. "I know."

He gives me his old smile, then pats my head. "You'll always be my little girl, Laura. I don't want to lose you... Like I lost your mother..." The sadness in his voice is contagious, making my heart ache. He gives me a quick hug, then grins one last time before exiting my room.