Chapter 6: The Gathering

*The Next Day - 5:30 p.m.*

Laura's POV:

I threw on a t-shirt and some jean shorts for clothes and slipped on my converse shoes. I was hurrying to get over to the castle, because this is the time Ross will be expecting me. The gathering is starting soon, and the last thing I want to do is be late. I trotted down the stairs and over to the front door. But before I could leave, I heard my father's voice.

Dad: Hold it.

I stopped dead in my tracks. Ugh, dad. Not now. I slowly turn around. My dad was in the kitchen with a telephone in hand. He looked in my direction.

Dad: Laura, grandma wants to know if you'd like to sleep over tonight.

What? Sleep over? My grandma knows I have this gathering to go to tonight. I was about to say no, but that's when a thought hit me. If I were to sleep over at Grandma's house, I wouldn't have to make up an excuse if I end up coming home to dad late. Grandma does know I have to be at the castle tonight. And if I show up late, she'll know exactly why. I slowly nodded my head.

Laura: Yea. Yea I'd like to. I was... just... coming down here to ask if I could visit her.

Dad: Alright. Grandma says she has clothes there for you already. Come home tomorrow when you feel like it.

I quickly nodded, then walked over to my dad to give him a quick hug.

Laura: Thanks dad. I love you.

Dad: I love you too sweetie.

And with that, I ran out the door and down in the direction of my grandmothers house. I should be there to remind her of what's going on tonight. Just to make sure we've got everything covered. I ran down the rocky road over to the small house I visited yesterday. When I reached her house, she must've seen me coming, because she opened up the door and stepped out onto her patio. She gave me a little wave. I waved back, and walked up to her front porch.

Grandma: Hello Laura. :)

Laura: Hi.

Grandma: Okay, so tell me your plans for tonight.

Laura: Well, I actually have to go right now because Ross is expecting me. Um... I don't know what time I'll be back, but I'll try not to go past 1 a.m. Does that sound okay?

Grandma: Just go on. Get out of here. Go have your fun. :)

I smiled widely at her.

Laura: Thank you. :)

I gave her a quick hug, then ran down her front steps and in the direction of the woods.

Grandma: Be safe Laura!

Laura: I will! 'she says still running'

*Arriving At The Castle*

(Still Laura's POV)

I ran in the direction of the large, stone castle, hoping to escape the heat of the day. I also kept my balance because of the slippery dew and left over rain droplets that were still on the grass. I slowly brought my run down to a jog, then a walk as I reached the late entrance gates. The sun was close to setting, but it was still pretty light outside. I looked behind me one last time, just to be safe. No one else was in sight. It was just me. I turned back to the doors and knocked on them. I waited for a few moments. Maybe I wasn't loud enough. Maybe no one could hear me. I was just about to knock again, but the doors suddenly swooped open. I brought down my hand and looked up at who was before me. It was Ross. He looked the same as he did yesterday Just in different clothes. He had on a white t-shirt with some jeans. His clothes seem to be a bit more... comfier, than what they usually are. But, it's still a great fit for him.