Chapter 4: You're Invited

Laura's POV:

Ross had brought me down the hall and into a big room. It looked like a normal room, just one to sit and relax in. We both were sitting down on two chairs in front of a burning fire. We've been sitting in silence for what seems to be, forever. Neither of us would speak. I didn't know what to say. Part of me was scared to start a conversation. Because when it comes to people I barley know, I tend to get awkward when I try and speak. I just stared at the flames in the fire pit and watched them flicker with sparks and crackle while they burn.

Ross's POV:

She's here. She's really here with me. The same girl I rescued only just last night. How did she get here? Her town has a strict policy about not going into the woods. Maybe she snuck out. If she did, she's a pretty sneaky girl, I'll give her that. The one thing that confused me about her, was why she wasn't scared. I know she knows who I am. I can see it in her eyes. Every time I stare at her, I can see it inside of her. She knows, I'm the one they call The Wolf Boy. They all say to be afraid. They say to kill me if spotted. But she has done neither of those things. She hasn't killed me, nor does she look like she's scared of me in any way. I turned my head to the side a little bit. Just enough to get a glimpse of her. I watched her stare into the burning fire. Her chocolate brown eyes danced with orange light as the reflection of the flames circled her pupils. Her long, brunette shaded hair that hung down a little ways past her shoulders. How it naturally curled itself at the tips, also camouflaging a shade of golden chestnut. Her clean skin, looking flawless and soft. And the way her pink, lightly plumped lips curved perfectly in shape with her mouth. Looking at her this closely now, I see that she's actually quite beautiful. In fact, very beautiful. There isn't a single flaw in sight. She seemed to notice my stare, because she lightly turned her head to face me. I quickly looked away and stared back into the fire. I don't think she noticed. We both sat in silence. It was a mixture of comfortable, and awkwardness. Was I suppose to say something? And if so, what exactly am I suppose to say? She's just a girl that I saw on the streets. I remember it so clearly. That small period of time I was with this girl. The way those men were abusing her. I watched them for a small moment. Then, I don't know what got into me. I just felt so furious watching them hurt someone so innocent. I watched them go up to her with my own eyes. How they stopped her out of the blue and began to punch her. Something inside of me just, couldn't stand seeing her getting hurt.

Laura's POV:

I don't think I can take much more of this silence. It's not that I think this is ridiculously awkward, I just don't want to sit here all day doing absolutely nothing. Before, I noticed him staring in my direction. I wasn't for sure whether or not he was actually looking at me. But it looked like it. I slowly turned a little in my chair and looked in his direction. He was looking into the fire.

Laura: C-... Can I ask you something?

He turned his gaze towards me at the sound of my voice. I suddenly felt so nervous talking to him. Being out on the spot is not something that's easy for me. Especially when it comes to boys. He stared into my eyes for a moment, then slowly nodded his head, signaling a yes. I swallowed hard before continuing.

Laura: ... Why did you stop those guys from hurting me yesterday?

He stared at me for a blank moment, then slightly turned away, breaking our gaze. I swallowed hard, wondering if I should be regretting my words.

Ross: ... I've been asking myself the same question.

I looked at him once more, then turned my head away as well. Did that answer my question? It sounds to me that he's even surprised by his actions last night.

Ross: To be honest... I don't really know.

I looked back up at Ross, to find him now staring at me once again.