Chapter 1: Is He Really...?

*At The Library - 9 p.m.*

Laura's POV:

My eyes skimmed the small words in my book. I was tucked away in the corner on a beanbag chair in my neighborhood library. I come here almost everyday, just to read. I stay for a few hours, then when it closes, I walk home. Reading is like, half of my life. I just think it's unbelievable how much knowledge and imagination it can provide for you. It's amazing.

I was currently reading a book of old legends. I just finished reading an old article on Big Foot. It's so mind blowing how much evidence they have on him. Yet, they can't "scientifically prove it" yet. I turned the page and looked at what legend was next. I furrowed my eyebrows. Huh... this is new. 'The Wolf Boy'. I've never heard of him. Well, I guess there's only one way to figure him out. I started to read a small article on him.

Apparently he's known as, and I quote, "Mean, vicious creature with uncontrollable anger. He'll tare apart any human being in his sight. He is a soulless beast who has no heart." Wow. He sounds... brutal. But it is interesting, I'll admit. I look up from my book and glance up at the clock. It's exactly 9 o'clock p.m. I guess I should start heading out. My father expects me home by now. I live with my father, only my father. My mother died in a car accident when I was just a little girl.

I only have so many faint memories of her, but I do have some old photos of her. I hide them in my pillow case. I can't ever let my father know I have them. She meant the world to my father, and ever since her death, he has totally fallen apart. But he tries to act like everything's fine. I usually shrug off everything he says, acting like I don't suspect anything. Does he really think I'm that dumb? I can honestly say he has totally shut down inside. Loosing my mom broke me inside too, but still. I never knew her, so I didn't exactly know what I lost.

I slowly got up from my beanbag chair and walked over to the bookshelf from where I first go this book. I placed it back in its original spot. I don't check books out. I just come here, read as much from the book as possible, then put it back 'til next time. And I'm really looking forward to finishing that Wolf Boy article. I walked out of the front doors and looked up at the sky. It was a dark shade of blue. Stars were starting to come out.

The cool air of night started rolling in and blowing my hair behind me. I rubbed my arms for a bit of warmth, then started walking down the sidewalk. I wasn't in super cold clothes. I had on a long sleeve red shirt, some black pants and my converse. I also put a black beanie on my head, mostly just for the look. I walked under the orange street lights and listened to my footsteps on the pavement. I lived in a rather quiet part of town. Not much happens.

As I was walking, I started to pass an alley. It was the alley I used as a shortcut to get back to my house quicker. I rounded into it and started to walk to the other side. What I would do, is I would walk to the other side where a fence was located, climb over it, then just walk down another block or so 'til I got to my house. Before I could make it to the fence, I heard someone whistle behind me.

As if they were trying to get my attention. I stopped dead in my tracks. I could hear a few pairs of feet walking towards me. I started to get a bit nervous. But, I tried to keep calm. I slowly turned around to see who was behind me. I saw two guys emerge from the shadows. They were both pretty tall. Well, maybe I'm just short. I'm only about 5'6", not my fault. They had on loose pants and big sweatshirts with the hoodies over their heads. They looked like trouble.

Guy #1: Where do you think you're going princess? 'he asks with an evil sly'

I gulped. I've never seen them around here before. And I've walked through this alley for years now! I didn't say anything to them. I just started to slowly back away. But, I then ran into someone from behind. I lightly gasped and turned quickly around. It was another guy. Taller than the other two. And more muscular and buff. And he was blocking my exit. My heart was racing. I turned back around to face the other two guys.