Chapter Twenty-Four

"She was the sun shining upon your tomb of hopes. He was the moon painting you with its glow so vulnerable."

***trigger warning***

"Does she have any family?" Dr Kim asked absently, pulling out a pen from the pocket of his scrubs and scratching down something on a clipboard.

"No," Taehyung replied coolly. "Just me."

The doctor raised a brow.

"Her mother?"

"She's unwell."

"And her father?"

"Passed away, I'm afraid."

It was the tone of Taehyung's voice, a flat warning for the doctor that there shouldn't be any more questions.

"It's such a shame," one of the nurses said, deeply sympathetic as she pulled the white sheet over Valerie's still face. "She was so beautiful."

"She still is."

Taehyung's utterance caused the young nurse to glue her eyes to him, a little bit stunned. For a second there, the color left her face. The way he said it, so formal and disengaged. She cleared her throat, hastily getting back to preparing Valerie's body to be discharged, clearly uncomfortable.

"I'm really sorry," Dr Kim sighed, scratching his head with his pen messily. "I'm afraid I'll still need a family member to give up the body to... you know, as hospital protocol requires it." His lips pressed against one another, a subtle sign that he was still suspicious of Taehyung and his – to put it mildly – odd behavior.

"Her fiancé," Taehyung said nonchalantly. "Can you put me down as her fiancé?"

Dr Kim's brows pulled together in confusion.

"I suppose I could, I mean... were you her fiancé?"

His face a perfect deadpan, Taehyung shoved his hands in the pockets of his coat. Within a flash, he pulled out a red velvet box and opened it swiftly.

"Here," he placed it in the doctor's palm, where the ring glistened timidly under the dull hospital lights. "It has our initials engraved on it. Is this enough proof for you to stop wasting my time, let me go home and bury the girl I love?"

Blindsided, the doctor gulped, quickly giving the little box back to Taehyung as if it were poisonous.

"I'm sorry," he muttered apprehensively, bashing himself on the inside for behaving so unprofessionally. It wasn't any of his business what this weird man was up to, and who knows, perhaps this was just the way some people grieved. Doctors' job was just to take care of the documentation and not the patients' personal lives.

He pulled out the clipboard again, accidentally letting it slip through his fingers once or twice due to nerves.

"I'll just need you signature here and here."