Chapter Nine

"I look inside myself and see my heart is black."

Days passed by like a fast-paced video montage with nothing of importance happening

I would wake up, go to school, grab something to eat on the way home so that I wouldn't have to cross paths with my mother and Taehyung in the kitchen, and would go straight to my bedroom where I'd watch movies or listen to music really loud so that I could drown out the muffled giggles coming from downstairs.

It almost felt unfair to exist in such delirious giddiness whilst being so miserable. On a couple of occasions, I would want to stomp downstairs and tell them to shut up, but I was too afraid that I'd go mute if I fell under Taehyung's paralyzing scrutiny.

I had no idea what they were even doing and I didn't want to know. If my mother wanted Taehyung to be her husband project number five, then I wouldn't stand in her way.

On top of my pent-up frustrations increasing, I would spend almost every single night tossing and turning in my bed. Ever since Taehyung's arrival, my recurring night terrors wouldn't leave me alone. They came to me in bits in pieces, fragmented mental images that instilled horror in my soul.

Some of them I remembered, some of them I didn't, but there would be one recurring bit that would stay the same – the picture of Taehyung standing completely still in the woods, a white mist ominously rolling in his feet like white wool.

He would see me and the corners of his mouth would twitch upwards. The stench of danger would infiltrate my nostrils and he'd grin at me, the same friendly grin he'd grace everyone with. He'd lick his lips. I'd start running, but the more I'd run the closer he'd get.

Then an ominous boom would startle me out of my sleep. I'd wake up covered in cold sweat with the sheets entangled around my limbs, probably because I'd been thrashing in my slumber.

My heart would be pounding in my rib cage, but I'd also feel a weird tingle in my lower abdomen, a rush of excitement shooting through my veins.

Occasionally after waking up I'd catch a glimpse behind the curtains of Taehyung doing some gardening outside. No matter how encompassed he'd be in his favorite activity, he'd always feel my eyes on him and would raise his gaze to look at me. He'd wave at me with the biggest rectangle smile spread on his face, but I'd immediately remove myself from my window and creep back inside, trying to steady the erratic beating of my heart.

After that moment we shared in front of the piano, he never attempted to have a word with me, or even worse – swing by my school like he did that one time. For that I was extremely thankful since I felt like I'd burst into flames if I ever saw him there again.

However, I was sure he had his own way of watching me, like he had crept inside my heart and was staring at me from inside my mind. It was very strange to feel his presence so closely all the time, even when he wasn't physically around.