Chapter Five

"It only takes two broken people to fuck up love and make it evil."

"After all, why just admire something beautiful from afar, when you can keep it

"After all, why just admire something beautiful from afar, when you can keep it...and make it yours forever?"

The air was perfumed with the heavy scent of him. I was frozen to the spot. I couldn't move, I couldn't even breathe. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, the heavy thumping sound getting louder and louder. It beat so loudly that it seemed to want to escape my chest.

"But..." I breathed. "Doesn't that mean that you also kill it?"

He contorted his lips into a tight, toothless smile, his enlarged orbs peering down at me.

"Death is not evil, nor cold. Death is kind. Death is beautiful. Death has this magical ability to stop time and preserve something for long years to come so that you can admire it longer. If only you know how," he answered in a hushed voice.

The hairs on my back stood to attention and I felt it again. The lies over his lips, the fake words. Whenever Taehyung smiled with that loving smile of his, something felt wrong, like a little crook over his mouth coming from deep inside his soul.

"It's also painful. Why cause pain to something you admire? Isn't that cruel?"

"It's not always painful. When you know how to operate with it, it can be quite tender. And that's the beauty in it."

I took a sudden intake of breath and stumbled backward, jamming my heel into the wall behind me. Once again, he had me backed up against a corner.

"Are we still talking about butterflies?" I whispered quietly.

My body wanted to either run for the hills or throw itself into Taehyung's chest. It was very conflicting. In that moment, my adrenaline surged so fast I could almost vomit and I could feel my throat tightening.

A narrowing of the eyes and a tilting of the head was what he responded with. His eyes drifted down to my neck. The left corner of his lips tugged upwards creating a wicked smile on his god-like face. His long slender fingers gravitated to the side of my neck and I felt his fingertips come in contact with my skin, electricity currents bursting where his soft touch lingered.

"The desire to possess something beautiful is inherently implanted into human nature," he drawled out in a low voice.

My hands trembled at my sides and I bit my lower lip to stifle a frightened gasp. Taehyung looked almost hypnotized, savoring the moment as if it were giving him inner delight. His eyes flickered back to mine and I saw alarmingly cool detachment in them. In that moment, I had no idea whether he wanted to kiss me or consume me.

"Valerie? Taehyung?"

My mother's hoarse sleepy voice came from the living room and echoed in my ears like a gunshot. Startled, my mouth popped open and my shoulders jerked up.