Chapter Twenty-Three

"Some hearts aren't blessed to beat together."

Author's POV

Author's POV

Two days later

"Hello. My name is Dr. Kim Seokjin. Please, nod your head if you can hear me."

A slight twitch of Taehyung's eyelids followed as Dr. Kim continued staring down at the pale man's face.

"Hello?" the young doctor called, glancing down at the patient's chart next to the bed. "Taehyung? Can you hear me?"

A pair of dry lips popped open, letting through what sounded like a very quiet groan.

"Y-Yes..."

A tinge of wonder flashed in the doctor's warm brown eyes, "You can?"

Taehyung's mouth popped open, his tongue coating his pale lips. Little did Dr. Kim know, he'd been awake for a few hours already.

"The doctor that admitted you two days ago has informed me that he'd like you to be psychologically assessed. Do you understand what that means?"

"You want to make sure whether I'm psychotic or not," Taehyung's lips twitched, almost forming a smirk as he stood up on his elbows, brown tousled bangs covering his large eyes.

"Not exactly..." Dr. Kim scratched his neck awkwardly and readjusted his pen. "We just want to evaluate your mental status."

"Well, my mental status is just superb. There's nothing wrong with me. Are we done?"

"Not exactly..." the doctor trailed off again. His inexperience had never been as evident as now. "I mean, not for a while..."

"What is the point of this conversation?" Taehyung sat up straight, hollow eyes staring straight at Dr. Kim like laser pointers. It had been the first time the doctor was feeling so exposed, so vulnerable in front of a patient. "You're gonna observe me closely while you ask me questions from that little book some other doctor or professor wrote for you. You're gonna wonder and you're gonna try to fit me into some of the behavioral categories you've read about in those little textbooks of yours. Then you're gonna try and look for a way to fix me – whether it be drugs or some other type of therapy. Let me save you the trouble. I've been through all that and it didn't do anything."

The grin that claimed his lips was unnatural and sinister. The doctor could have sworn he felt a slight drop in the temperature of the room.

"Why do you think it didn't do anything, Taehyung?"

"Because there's nothing wrong with me."

Dr. Kim readjusted the patient file on the bed, staring at Taehyung up and down wordlessly. He had the shell and the mannerisms of what medical science would describe as 'normal', however it looked like his wiring was screwed up, like there was something deeply wrong in the chemical balance of his brain. He had perfected the act so much and yet, to the trained eye it was evident there was something off.