Chapter Nineteen

"My love is your disease, I won't let it set you free."

Third Person POV

Third Person POV

Two months earlier

"I think you'll be happy to see that your brother has made quite the progress, Mr. Kim."

Julian's brows pulled together upon stepping out of the car. He took a couple steps forward and came to a halt, stopping to admire the looming building before him. It was massive and it stretched for as far as he could see, hundreds or even thousands of windows with metal bars attached to them glinting under the bright sunlight.

He didn't waste another second and instead started walking after the young woman in front of him, following her to the entrance. His long black coat flowed after him as he strode, every wide step full of intent and authority. His hard composure crumbled as he promptly entered the building.

"By the way, thank you for all the generous donations your family has been offering our institution throughout the years." Mrs. Clementine, the elegant Director of the mental institution, turned to him with gratefulness.

"Yeah, don't mention it." Julian grumbled, his rigid black eyes roaming the gloomy hallway.

To say that the building looked ancient would be an understatement. More than ancient, it was depressing. Despite how well-kept it seemed, the place still managed to make his skin crawl every time he came here during these long years.

"As you know, Taehyung was the one who wanted to extend his stay here until today. It was a rather peculiar request to be discharged on a particular date. Do you have any idea why he may want that?"

"No clue." Julian grunted, shoving his fists in the pockets of his jacket. Of course he knew. Today was Valerie's nineteenth birthday, and he suspected his brother's strange request had everything to do with that.

Valerie. Julian adored the young girl with all his heart. She was like the daughter he never had.

Despite his wealth and charisma, Julian never settled down and created a family before meeting Josephine. It was very late in life that he realized how much he needed love and companionship. So when he met the classy, gorgeous woman, he was more than delighted to find out she already had a daughter and didn't plan on having any more children.

Julian welcomed Valerie with his arms spread wide open. He was thankful for the chance to have a daughter, even if they weren't related by blood. Now that he thought of it, it was probably for the best. That way he wouldn't risk the opportunity to pass down horrible genes that ran rampant in his family. The immoral genes that-

Never mind.

A soft piano tune echoed throughout the staircase as they approached the floor that Taehyung's room was located on. Julian swallowed back the giant lump formed in his throat as Mrs. Clementine led him to the heavy door.