chapter 7

Vera's POV

Flashback:
.
.
.
.
.
.
"Take this to the guests that just arrived, and serve them quick."

Judith, the white fat woman in charge of all the maids in the house commanded.

"Yes ma'am."

A girl took the tray of drinks and dashed out.

"And you,"

she said,turning to me.

"Go and ask the young master if we should order more wine. The one here is getting finished."

"Yes ma'am."

I said and headed to where his friends were. With their flustered state, they weren't much of a help when I asked of his whereabouts,so I decided to go upstairs. When I reached his room,I was about to knock when I heard a scream.
It sounded like a girl's scream.
I looked at the door knob and noticed that it was unlocked,so I held it and slowly pushed the door just to peep. To my utter surprise, I saw Sir Daniel forcing himself on a black girl. Her voice was different from the others so she must be new here.
With the way she was crying pitifully I was about to enter when I saw two maids coming with a duster and broom.
I had to do something to make them go  so I approached them and told them I'll clean upstairs myself. They sighed and giggled and gave me the items without any objections and descended downstairs. I also descended to put the items away.
I was about to enter the kitchen upon Judith's call when I saw the young master coming down without the girl. I wondered towards his direction when he called me to go and clean his room.

Present:
.
.
.
.
.
"When I got upstairs," I paused when I noticed the shock and fear in his eyes as I relayed my account on the previous event. But I went on.

"I saw poor Bessie crying and I got a hint that she was a virgin. And true to my observations, I saw blood stains on your sheets."

All this while, he was looking at me like I was having psychic powers.

"Look, I know that you can't do this to a girl,no matter the circumstances, so I guess you were drunk or drugged."

I added.

"I was drugged."

He said that almost immediately, then looked down embarrassed.

"But how am I going to explain to Bessie that I didn't do it intentionally? She's going to be scared of me,that I'm sure of."

His voice trembled and I swear I could see tears in his eyes even though his head was bowed. I sighed with pity.
Sir Daniel is really soft hearted.

"Sir,"

I put a hand on his shoulders again. This time he was wiping under his eyes. I wanted to tell him that when one looks at Bessie ,he or she can easily tell that she is soft hearted.

"She can't hate you."

I whispered. He looked up at me then looked down again.

"What makes you think she won't, after everything?"

He was crestfallen.