Chapter 17

Bessie's POV

Our way home was filled with silence after Sir Daniel asked me about my father. I kept stealing glances at him, and he seemed to be lost in thoughts because he furrows his brows every now and then.
Thankfully, the silence came to an end when we reached the house. I was praying that I did not get questioned about my absence.

"I'll..uh..I'll see you around Bess. "

Sit Daniel mumbled to me,deep in thoughts as he left to the other side leading to the hall. I rather went around the house to the kitchen with my heart pounding in my chest.
Luckily, I saw ma'am Vera washing dishes. Before I could call her, she had already seen me.

"My goodness, Bessie, you look awful from too much crying."

She came to my side,touching my face ever so gently. I smiled a sad smile.

"Hey,my dear, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is since it was just yesterday, but just know that I see a daughter in you. Okay?"

I nodded my head and hugged her on impulse. But it was interrupted by a rude clearing of throat, as I turned to ma'am Judith's angry gaze on me.

"And where have you been?"

She snarled. How is that even possible

"Well,Bessie h-"

"I think she can speak for herself, Vera."

Judith cut Vera short with a glare.
I had to talk, but I needed to control my tears first.

"Ma'am Judith,I'm sorry that I was absent, I had to go back home because I just l..l..lost my mom."

I started strong, but my voice almost failed me.

"I'm sorry ma'am"

I added faintly,with my head bowed. She started towards me,with a sneer on her face. Her eyes never left mine, as she stared at me with disdain.

"Look here, girl, I am in charge of the maids here, so my word among you is the law, If you know you will be making up useless excuses to be out of work,I'll fire you back to the pigsty you came from. Don't think Vera will save you because she is also under me. I don't know how you managed to get her and the young master to defend you all the time ,but I won't fall for your antics.
So be the good girl that you claim to be, and do you work without excuses. I hope you understand me."

She was inches away from my face, I stepped back shakily and nodded.

"Y..yes ma'am Judith. I'm sorry,it won't happen again."

She then turned to Vera and looked at our intertwined fingers before smirking tauntingly.

"And as for you, my lovely Vera, learn your place when talking to me. I am the head of the maids, so you do as I say. Got it?"

"Sure,ma'am Judith."

Vera answered with a smirk of her own,as if to show that she isn't phased at all by what ma'am Judith said.

"Continue with the dishes,and Bessie, accompany the other maid to the market to get foodstuffs for tonight."

And with that,she left. I visibly relaxed.