Eleven

Kevin came back into the main compartment of the boat, having showered and shaved, wearing a fresh change of clothes. Heaven immediately relaxed upon seeing his appearance.

"Okay, I feel a lot better," Kevin said, causing Heaven to smile a little.

"Hey, Kevin, buddy, you got to slow down," Sam informed the kid, looking up from the computer he was working on.

"What?"

"Get some shut-eye. Take a day off. Open a window."

Heaven nodded in agreement as Kevin shook his head to the contrary at the same time.

"No. You said nuking Hell- that's how I get out. That's how I go home."

Heaven's heart clenched in her chest as Sam nodded.

"Right, it is, but you can't live like this."

"You think I want to?" Kevin challenged him. "I hate it here. I can't leave because every demon on the planet wants to peel my face off. I can't talk to anyone except you guys or Garth, when he swings by, or my mom. Right? And when she calls, all she does is cry. I just- I need this to be over."

"I know. I do. But trust me on this- this whole 'saving the world' thing- it's a marathon, not a sprint. You got to take better care of yourself."

The heavy door to the outside squeaked open and Dean's voice carried in as he entered with several plastic grocery bags of food.

"Hey. Did you know there are like 6,000 types of tomatoes? Did you find anything?"

"Yeah," Sam responded as Dean set down the bags, "demon signs, about 10 years ago, all centered on Shoshone, Idaho."

"Okay, well big-time mojo means a big-time freak. So, anybody have a horseshoe shoved up his ass?"

Sam chuckled.

"That's one way of putting it," he cleared his throat, turning his laptop around so the others could see. "Meet the Cassitys, small-time farmers who struck oil on their land in February of '03, which is weird because geological surveys-"

"Yeah, you had me at 'weird'," Dean interrupted. "All right. We thinking deal?"

"Best lead we got," Sam nodded.

"Well, let's go visit the Beverly Hillbillies. You stay here, work on step number 2, and, uh, if you come across anything on Hellhounds, drop a dime, okay? Because between the- the claws and the teeth and the whole invisibility thing, those bitches can be... real bitches."

Dean reached into a bag, pulling out two bottles and handed them one at a time to Kevin as he spoke.

"I got you a present. The blue ones are for the headaches, and the Greens are for pep. Don't O.D."

"Thanks?"

He hit Kevin on the arm and he and Sam made their way out the door while Heaven hung back for a moment.

"Hey, Kevin?"

The kid glanced up from one of the bottles to look at her.

"When you said the angels talked about me..."

"You need to tell Sam and Dean about the dreams," he told her.

"I'm working on that," she mumbled. "But, hey, do you want my number? Someone to talk to that isn't going to cry the whole time or practically force this stuff on you?"

"Heaven, hurry up!" Dean's voice carried back.

"Coming!"

She turned back to Kevin, who nodded. Grabbing a pen, she quickly scribbled the numbers down in the corner of one of the many papers scattered about before giving the kid a smile and heading after the Winchesters.

***

The Cassity Farm was very nice, neat, and in Heaven's opinion, a bit too much. The gates opened automatically for the Impala, allowing them to drive right up to the place. Dean addressed the other two as they all climbed out.

"All right, keep an eye out. Anybody with a Hellhound on their ass is going to be showing signs- hallucinating, freaking out- the usual."

"And if we find someone?" Heaven inquired.

"You get 'em clear," Dean responded, picking up the demon killing knife. "I spike fido, the crowd goes wild."

He slipped the knife in his jacket and the trio made their way over to where a body was on a mechanic's dolly working underneath a tractor.

"Hey, pal, who runs this joint?" Dean asked them.

A pretty young Hispanic woman slid out from under the tractor and stood up. Heaven noticed Dean's reaction and couldn't help the slight pang of jealousy that ran through her. When the woman spoke, she had a slight accent.

"You're looking at her."

"You...own the ranch?" Sam asked hesitantly.

"Nope, just manage the property. You three here about the job?"

"How'd you guess?" Dean gave the woman a flirty smile and Heaven fought to not roll her eyes.

"We get our share of drifters," the woman explained.

"Ah."

"Ever worked a farm before?"

"Definitely."

At the woman's skeptical look, Sam cut in for Dean.

"We're quick learners."

Another man approached then.

"Ellie... who we got here?"

"I'm Dean. This is Sam and Heaven," Dean introduced everyone.

"Oh. Carl Granville. A pleasure."

The man shook all their hands.

"Pleasure," Sam responded. "So you're not a Cassity?"

"No, my wife is. Her and her family own the place. I'm just one of those, uh- what you call 'em?" Carl patted his somewhat pudgy stomach. "-trophy husbands."

He laughed and looked to Ellie.

"So, we, uh, hiring the fellas?"

"Not sure yet," Ellie replied, eyeing Dean skeptically.

"Why not? They seem like a swell bunch."

"Well, he's right," Dean cut in. "We're swell."

Sam and Dean grinned widely to contrast Heaven's own tight-lipped smile.