Alexander's Night and Maria's Morning

Saturday Night

"You look like you need a good drink sir~" the cute curly haired bartender said as she leaned over the counter.

Alexander gave her a small small. "You don't know the half of it,"

"Hmm, well I know something that can cheer you right up! Just give me a second," with that the bartender left with a wink.

Alexander was too busy watching her go to notice that someone sat down next to him.

"You're that Alexander guy, right?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

The person who sat down next to him was a guy who looked only a year younger than him. And for some reason very familiar too.

"Do you go to the Academy?" he asked.

The red head boy laughed. "Yep! I'm a freshman, and you're a year above me right?"

"Yeah. . . why does it matter?" he asked as the bartender sat his drink down.

"Well, our grades don't really. I just came over to warn you about Maria,"

"Maria? I'm pretty sure I don't need advice from a freshman on how to handle her," Alexander said as he picked up his drink.

"Damn, this is strong," he thought.

"Well, what if it was from someone who grew up with her?"

"You did? That sounds like hell,"

The kid shrugged. "It was, but it gave me a few ideas on how to handle her,"

"Really?"

"Yeah, for one you should never trust her,"

"Wow, I would've never thought of that," he said sarcastically.

"It seems basic, but she can find ways to get under your skin and make you do whatever she says. So just always be on edge when she's acting extra nice,"

Alexander nodded as he brought the drink back to his lips.

"I'll take it into consideration," he said.

"I never got your name,"

"Oh, I'm the one and only Arthur Miller," the kid with a cocky grin before turning to the bartender.

"I'll take whatever he's having," he asked the passing bartender.

"Sure thing hotstuff," she said before leaving with a sway of her hips.

The kid catched his eye and gave him another cocky grin.

"Oh, he thinks he can get her before me? He doesn't know who he's up against,"

Sunday Morning

"It's the weekend, why do I still have to wake up so early?' Maria groaned when her alarm set off.

She slowly got ready for the day, the only thing keeping her moving was the promise of something new.

"If I don't get ready on time, I can't count on Alexander to not go off and leave me here," she thought as she fumbled with the clock she had been putting on.

"And this is my only chance this week to go explore the town, and if I'm lucky, find more on how to use my healing magic. . ."

Once she slipped on her shoes she made her way through the academy.

The only noise in the halls was the click of her heels on the floor, and the only people she saw were a few servants who avoided her.

"I can't blame them." she thought as she turned into the hallway for the boys dorm.

"Room 134. . . Room 134. . .ahh here it is!"

She knocked on Alexander's dorm, and knocked after it again when he didn't answer.

"What's taking him so long? I don't have all day!" she thought as she banged on the door again.

"Um, Mi-miss, he isn't here," a meek voice said behind her.

Maria whirled around and saw a very small girl in a maid uniform standing there.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he left yesterday night, and hasn't re-returned,"

"What!" Maria screamed. "He was supposed to take me out to town, and I can't do that without him!"

The servant girl was shaking now, so Maria took a few breaths before saying

"Sorry for the outburst, I didn't mean to frighten you,"

The girl nodded, but still looked afraid.

"I still need to get out of here, but I need his supervision to let me leave, maybe I can sneak out?" Maria thought.

"Hey, I know this is going to sound really weird, but can you take me to the servant's entrance?"

"Wh-wh-why?"

"Because it's the only way I can leave this place since Alexander is out. I'll make it worth your while,"

Maria took off a gold ring and held it out for the girl.

"Hopefully this isn't super important and magical," she thought.

"You're-you're giving that to me!"

"Yeah, in exchange of taking me to the servants exit, and of course not telling anyone else about it,"

"I-I-I'll take you," the girl said before she snacthed the ring out of Maria's hand.

"Cool! What's your name by the way?"

The girl nervously looked up at her.

"I'm Lauren,"

"Well then lead the way Lauren!"