Another Cycle

"I really wish he would stop looking at me all the time," Maria thought as she watched Alexander out of the corner of her eye.

Ever since that Sunday, Alexander has been watching her more closely. It's been three more weeks, but she still hasn't gotten used to his consistent gaze.

"I guess it's better than the looks Mason gives me, but that's not saying much,"

Speaking of Mason, he was definitely the one messing with her magic. She was trying to form a cylinder, but no matter what it kept getting undone

Mr. Hemlock gave her another disappointed look, which was also pretty common now.

"Just get this over with," she thought. Maria thought dimly as the dark magic started spreading.

"Keep it under control!" the professor yelled.

"I'm trying!" she yelled back as the dark magic surrounded her arm.

The last thing she felt before she passed out was the magic burning her blood stream.

"I really hope I'm not dead again," she thought as she woke up.

"Don't worry, you're not,"

"Huh?" Maria tried to sit up, but one of her arms flared in pain and she fell down. The room was too dark to see who was talking, but they sounded familiar.

"Your arm was badly damaged by some dark magic, you're lucky to be alive right now," the voice explained.

It was the school nurse. She was standing in the doorway, with the light flowing behind her. She had an odd look in her eyes, but Maria was glad to see her all the same.

"Your arm well be sore for the next few weeks, and you'll also need to come back each day for a check up,"

Maria nodded, though the words didn't reach her head.

"I'm just happy not having to relive the same day over and over again,"

"But how did I get saved this time? I don't think I changed much from the previous times?"

"Now dear, can I ask you a question?" the nurse asked her.

"Um, sure,"

"How exactly did you get injured so badly? You lost control of your magic, but it shouldn't have gone against you in such a way,"

"I'm. . . not exactly sure to be honest. Just some bad luck I guess,"

"Hmmmmmm, very bad luck indeed," the nurse clucked.

Maria felt a little unnerved at that, but she made no attempt to move when the nurse moved closer.

"I'll just do a quick check on it before I send you out. You must be ready to leave after sleeping for a day,"

"It's Saturday now?"

The nurse nodded. "Almost Sunday actually. Your watcher has been waiting outside all day, so hurry up now dear,"

"Oh, right," Maria lifted her left arm out of the shadows into the light and gasped.

The pale skin was covered in spider web like lines. Some were a deep dark purple, while others were lilac. Some even seemed to glow.

The nurse gently reached out to touch it, and when she did Maria winced in pain.

"Hmm, you might have to stay another day it seems," the nurse muttered.

"No!" Maria immediately said.

The nurse gave her another odd look, and she quickly came up with an excuse.

"I, uh, just missed so much already, I don't want to miss anything else. There's really no need for me to stay another day,"

The nurse nodded and started the check up. Every time she touched her arm it flared in pain, but she kept silent.

Finally the nurse pulled away, and showed her to the door.

"Don't do anything too taxing dear, and remember to come back tomorrow,"

"I will, thank you!" Maria said with a wave before leaving the nurse's office.

Alexander was slumped over on the bench outside, and from his snores she could tell he was asleep.

"How long has he been waiting?" she thought. "I hope it hasn't been all day,"

She kept tapping on his shoulder until he woke up.

"Wha? Oh hey Maria," he said before yawning. "You're okay now?"

"As okay as I can be, after whatever happened,"

He looked up at her. "You don't remember?"

She shook her head. "I kinda blacked out near the end,"

"That's probably for the best," he said as he got up from the bench. "It wasn't a pretty sight,"

"I figured, it left me with all of this,"

She showed off her arm and he grimaced.

"You got it worse than me, are you sure it's alright for you to leave the nurse's office?"

She furrowed her brows. "What do you mean? Did you get hurt too?"

He nodded and held out his right hand to her.

Half of the palm was covered in the purple vines like her arm, though they all were much lighter purple.

"How did you get this?" she asked as she traced a finger over the vines. She didn't miss the small intake of breath when she did so.

"I got it from pulling you out of the dark matter. The professor had to eradicate because it kept growing and growing,"

He looked into her eyes, his own so cold. "How did you do that? Shouldn't have stopped once it started hurting you?"

"I-well," she started.

"I don't have any real proof that Mason was the one messing with me,"

"I guess I just suck at dark matter magic," she followed that with a forced laugh.

Alexander pursed his lips and said. "That's why you're being put into a special class. It will be only you, Professor Hemlock, and me. It'll be safer for everyone that way,"

"That's great!" she said. "I won't have to deal with Mason anymore!"

He absently nodded and started leading her down the hall.

"Your schedule will change a bit, but it will better for everyone,"

"That's fine,"

They stayed in silence until they were at her bedroom door, even when she became too tired and had to lean onto him.

"You should get some sleep, you wouldn't want to be tired when you see your little Theodore tomorrow," he teased.

"Shut up," she said back as her face heated up.

"Mmm, what if I don't want to?"

She sighed and closed the door in his face.

"Goodnight Maria," she heard him yell as she fell onto the bed, too tired of change from her outfit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: Thank you guys for 1k views! Sorry for no updates for 2 weeks, school and my other story have been taking up my time. Speaking of such, would you guys want me to post it over here? It's also a fantasy story, but still pretty different. Check it out on A03!