iii. interview.

"Hm?" You hum sleepily in response, just barely becoming aware of your surroundings as your eyes slowly flutter open.

"Sorry, I don't mean to wake you. I just wanted to remind you that your interview is in thirty. You didn't seem to have an alarm set, and Derek said to let you sleep, but I didn't want you to wake up in a rush." I hear a soft voice state, "I know late starts make a crummy day so I thought it would be better to wake you earlier." The voice rambles on.

"I take it that you're Spencer?" You ask, sitting up as Spencer nods, pressing his lips together as his eyes focus on yours.

"I'm Y/N." You state with a warm smile, "I don't mean to barge in on yours and Derek's space, I just need a place to crash for a couple of nights, just until I get back on my feet." You explain.

Spencer nods, a warm smile dancing on his lips, "You're okay. I'm actually glad that you're staying with Derek and I, it's about time that we got a new roomie around here." He states in a welcoming tone.

"I promise I'm a good roommate. I can't cook that well, but I bake amazing cakes and chocolates and stuff. I uh- I clean up after myself. I like tidy workspaces, so I don't leave much lying around. Unless I'm super focused on a case, then please excuse the mess." You state, "Sorry I ramble a lot when I'm like nervous."

"Something that you and Spence have in common." Derek jokes, handing you a mug, "Listen Y/N, we don't really care about messes or about what you can or can't do. We're just glad you're here and safe with us, that's all." He states.

You smile softly at Derek's words, "Thank you both so much for this. I seriously don't know what I would do without you guys." You state in a soft tone.

"You never need to thank us for the little things." Spencer states, "We just wish you would have come to us sooner. We would've gotten you out of there sooner."

"You never know how to get help in a situation like that. I mean, I've tried to leave before, but that ended with a gun to my head." You state.

"A gun?" Derek asks, his brow furrowing as he clears his throat – he's clearly trying to hold back his anger.

You nod, "I promised myself from that point forward that I would only listen to him. It was either that or dying." You pause, "I know dying seemed like the better option-" You begin.

"Absolutely not." Derek and Spencer state in unison.

"Your life is worth way more than some fucking wife beater." Derek states.

"Girlfriend." You correct him, "I was his girlfriend, not his wife."

"Either way, same fucking bullshit. We're never letting someone treat you like that ever again. Once the team finds out about this-" He begins.

"No!" You interject, cutting him off, "The team can't find out about this, no matter what. Unless it's life or death in the future, no one else is finding out about this."

Derek and Spencer nod in understanding, "Promise me." You state, "Promise me that no one else will find about Ryan, unless it's life or death."

"Promise." They both state in unison as you let out a relieved exhale, "Some things from the past are just meant to be a secret." You state in a low tone.

Spencer nods, "We'll both be right by your side when you're ready to come out and tell the world about what this asshole did – make him pay for his wrongdoings." He states in a more confident tone.

You stand up off the couch, "Thank you both, seriously. I don't know what I would do without you guys." You state with a warm smile, "I'd love to stick around and talk more, but as Spencer has said, I have an interview to be getting to."