viii. crumbled.

"How was the old friend? You haven't told us about him all weekend." Derek states as you slip on my shoes.

You shrug, "Nothing happened. We just had some drinks and went to dinner. Then we had breakfast. I don't really see it going anywhere." You state with a shrug, "And if you keep nagging on about it, I'm gonna be late for this interview."

"Are you seeing Ryan again? Is he in town? Y/n I thought we agreed that-" He begins.

"No- what? No, I'm not with Ryan. I already told you on the jet that-" You begin to defend yourself, but he cuts you off.

"People always return to their greatest desires, or the people they think treated them best." He states.

You shake your head, "Absolutely not." You state.

He nods, changing the subject, "Where are you even switching to work?" He asks.

"We'll talk about it later. I really have to get going." You state.

"Fine, I'll come get you from wherever you get the job after I get off from work. Just text me the address." He states.

You nod slightly at his words, "I'll see you later." You state, grabbing your coat and walking out of the door.

• • •

"Y/n, right?" A familiar face asks.

"Hi Anderson." You state with a small smile.

"Hotch told me you were coming by again." He states with a smile, "Uhm, he told me to tell him when you got here but he's currently waiting for someone new to get here for an interview, so I don't think we should bug him-" He begins to ramble on.

"I'm the new person." You state, "Surprise."

"Seriously?" He asks in utter shock.

You nod slightly at his words, smiling softly.

He tries to gather his thoughts, "Last time, you stormed off kinda mad and he was kinda irritated and Morgan was irritated- I uh-" He searches for words, "What changed his mind?" He asks with a furrowed brow.

"Not sure, but I guess we'll find out." You state with a shrug.

Just as the words escape from your lips, Hotch's office door opens. His eyes meet yours almost immediately, and for a second, you could've sworn you stopped breathing.

"Y/n." He states in a low tone, his eyes still beating down on yours.

"I uhm- I should go." You mutter.

Anderson nods softly at your words, "I better not keep you waiting, but you'll do great, trust me." He states in a cheery tone.

You smile softly at him as you make your way through the bullpen, walking up the steps to Hotch's office, "I assume you and Anderson are friends?" He asks as he steps out of the doorway to his office.

"Really great friends." You state with a nod as you make your way into his office.

He presses his back against the door, making way to get through. You smile softly at him before glancing around his office, your eyes scanning the room quickly.

Hotch clears his throat, "I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not." He states, his brows knitting together.

"You're a profiler, Hotchner. You'll figure it out." You state with a small chuckle as you take a seat on the couch.

"You can sit at the desk, you know." He states.

You shake your head, "Too professional." You state.