iv. homicide.

-time lapse: three weeks-

aaron hotchner.

"We have a case." I state while glancing at the case file and then to my watch, "Everyone in the briefing room in ten." I state, giving myself ten minutes to brief myself on the case we just received, "Morgan, may I speak to you for a moment?"

Morgan nods, immediately getting out of his seat and heading over to the steps, "What's up, Hotch?" He asks.

"How's your friend," I pause, "Y/N, I think her name was?" I ask.

"Yeah, yeah, she's doing great, actually. She talks a lot about the Homicide department and how she's always running point." He explains, giving his shoulders a small shrug as we walk to my office, "From what she says, it sounds like she's enjoying herself, but that's her, she loves bossing people around." He states, letting out a soft chuckle.

"That's good, really good." I state, "I just want to make sure there's no hard feelings here."

Derek shakes his head, "She seems happy, and I can't hold a grudge against you for wanting to hold onto some memories." He states with a shrug, "I'm sure there will plenty more opportunities in the future." He states as I nod.

"Thank you." I say with a small, exasperated sigh as Derek nods, standing up.

He turns on his heels before coming to a halt, "It's the littlest things that you always feel the need to thank people for." He states.

"Pardon?" I ask.

"I said it's the littlest things that you always feel the need to thank people for." He states as he turns around to look at me, "Don't feel the need to do that with me. I'm sure there will be plenty of other things that you need to thank me for in the future."

You sure as hell were right when you said that. Thank you, Derek. I owe you.

• • •

"What do we got?" I ask, approaching the crime scene with the rest of the team.

"Hold up alarm. Shooter has hostages inside – nearby witnesses said that they heard gunshots come from this bank, apparent screams. Nobody has come in or out of this place." The lanky officer states.

"So, what do you guys know?" I ask with a furrowed brow.

"Just as much as you do." He states with a shrug, "We were told to stand down until Homicide came to assess the case and how to move further." He states.

"We don't have time to wait for Homicide." I state, turning towards the team, "The other officers were told to stand down. JJ, I need you to keep media as far away as possible from this – the last thing I need is for a news reporter to screw this up. Reid and Morgan, I need you both to work with Garcia and get nearby surveillance of this entire block. Morgan, come up with a possible description of who I'm looking for, and Reid, I need you to come up with the probability of survival. The last thing we need is Strauss riding our asses about this case." I state.

"But I thought we were waiting for Homicide." Reid begins as I shake my head, "If we wait for Homicide, we'll have lost way too many lives." I state.

Suddenly one last gunshot comes from the inside of the bank before loud revving of an engine erupts from the distance, "What the hell is going on." I mutter under my breath.

I grasp ahold of my mic, "Morgan! Scratch that, you're with me." I state in a strict tone.

Static comes from the receiver, "I'm on my way boss." He states.