13|

~

~

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight, soirée promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed lady Trowbridge. Someone may call her celebrations to provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. For one scandelous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

The Trowbridge ball was in full swing, with people moving and swaying to the sounds of the orchestra. Elena stood on the side of the dance floor, holding a glass of champagne and scanning the room anxiously. She spotted her sister having her third dance with Lord Watson and her mother conversing with so many different people that she had lost count.

She felt like an outcast, like she didn't belong in this grand ballroom with all these grand people. She sipped her champagne, the taste of the bubbly liquid masking her growing anxiety. Benedict was nowhere to be found, which relieved her a bit, as he was the main cause of her stress.

Elena spotted a servant holding a tray coming near her, so she quickly put her empty on it and took another drink.

"Sister, how many drinks have you had?" Thomas asked.

"I do not know. Four? Maybe five." She nervously replied, taking a sip. "Is it hot in here? Feels hot."

"You cannot just wash off whatever you're feeling with alcohol." He told her. "It is not healthy."

"Leave me be, brother. I'm perfectly fine." She slurred, almost knocking over other guests.

Thomas nervously searched for his mother and saw that she was way over on the other side of the room. "Alright, mother cannot see you in this state. So I'm taking this away from you." He snatched away the glass of champagne from his sister's hand before she could drink it.

Elena scoffed. "Rude."

"Yes, you're welcome."

After Thomas had taken the drink away from Elena, he went to join some other friends who were also present at the ball, leaving Elena all alone again. Even though he insisted on staying with her, she wanted him to have some fun.

She remained on the side of the dance floor, fiddling with her fingers as she watched different couples come and go on. From time to time, other men would offer her a dance, but she'd politely decline their invitation and wish them a good night with a soft smile. The one she wanted to dance with wasn't present.

Until he walked into the room.

Her heartbeat started to pick up as she spotted him from the other side of the room. She could feel her palms getting sweatier from underneath her gloves and her mind started racing when he started conversing with other guests. She played with her necklace out of nervousness not even realizing that her eyes had been on him for a long time. Elena just waited for him to notice her.