19|

~

~

Daphne and Simon's wedding was an event that will be remembered for generations to come. As the guests entered the Bridgerton mansion, they were greeted with the scents of flowers that filled the air. The mansion was adorned with floral decorations that adorned the walls and staircases, creating a breathtaking atmosphere.

However, with so many guests in attendance, it was difficult to navigate the bustling crowd. Despite the chaos, the wedding ceremony was a beautiful and memorable occasion.

Elena's entrance was nothing short of spectacular, as she arrived hand in hand with her brother, dressed in a stunning grey dress with flowers woven into her raven hair. With every set of eyes turning to the Bennets in anticipation, all expectations were met when Elena made her entrance into the main hall.

Whispers began to spread throughout the room as guests noticed Elena's arrival. The silence was broken by the murmur of gossipy guests, who were speculating about the reason for Elena's sudden appearance after not being seen since the Trowbridge ball.

The excitement in the room grew as Elizabeth walked in as well with Lord Watson. The news of their engagement became the main topic of conversation.

Daphne stood alone in the middle of the hall, greeting all of the guests who had arrived. "It was such a wonderful ceremony. Thank you for having us." A lady told her before curtsying and walking away from her.

Then, she spotted Elena walking towards her with a warm smile. "You came." Daphne said, immediately embracing her friend into her arms.

"Of course I did." Elena replied, releasing the hug and taking both of Daphne's hand, giving them a light squeeze. "I would not miss it for the world, darling."

From the corner of her eye, Daphne noticed that a lot of people were huddled around Elizabeth and Lord Watson. "You must be relieved that your matchmaking days are over." She said.

Elena followed Daphne's vision and tiredly exhaled. "That I am. It took him so long to propose, I am exhausted." She mumbled.

"It seems that I am not the only new duchess in town." Daphne added, whispering into Elena's ear.

Elena grinned and eyed her. "Disappointed are we, your grace?" She asked.

They started laughing quietly together but their moment of happiness was disturbed when Cressida Cowper walked up to the young ladies. Elena's face fell as she eyed the woman up and down.

"I suppose congratulations are in order." Cressida grinned. "We being friends, after all. I do hope you will remember my kindness in keeping secrets and repay me someday."

"And why would she waste her time doing that?" Elena muttered under her breath, taking a sip from her glass of champagne.

Cressida glared at her but her face lightened up again in a second. "Miss Bennet, I did not see you there!" She exclaimed, receiving a fake smile from Elena. "Now that your only friend is married, perhaps now you might refine your circle of friends instead of drowning yourself in those books of yours. I may have an opening-"

"I would rather die." She suddenly said, making Daphne almost choke on her drink.

Cressida's smile fell while the duchess tried to restrain herself from laughing. The Cowper girl glared at Elena before turning towards Daphne again. "Enjoy your triumph, your grace."

The two friends stared at Cressida Cowper as she walked away from them and joined her mother. "Despicable girl..." Elena muttered.

"Cressida saw Simon and I at the Trowbridge ball." Daphne spoke up but Elena wasn't seem to be listening. "I'm just relieved that I was able to marry Simon before word about our scandal got out." She scoffed and shook her head. "I mean, can you imagine? How ruined my family would've been if we hadn't-"

Daphne stopped talking when she noticed that Elena had her head completely in the clouds and looked distracted. Her attention wasn't on Daphne, no. The bride followed Elena's vision, spotting her second eldest brother conversing with Mr. Granville and his wife.

Elena's eyes were locked onto Benedict and her heart raced as her breath grew unsteady at the sight of him, as if she has been struck by lightning. The emotions rush through her. Despite her attempt to hate Benedict, she cannot deny that he looks absolutely handsomely, leaving her conflicted about her feelings towards him.

Daphne looked back and forth from Benedict to Elena and furrowed her eyebrows, suspecting something was going on between them. "Is everything all right, Elena?" She asked.

The Bennet girl quickly snapped out of her thoughts and looked away from Benedict. "Uh.. yes. Sorry, darling, it seems like my mother requires my presence."

Without saying anything else, Elena excused herself from Daphne and quickly walked away from her, blending in with the crowd.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Meanwhile, Eloise was walking around the house scanning the crown, holding onto her notebook. Accidentally, she bumped into Penelope who looked stressed as well.

They awkwardly stared at each other until Isabella goes in between them, holding a plate full of food.

"Girls, have you tried the food yet? You must try it. It simply melts in your mouth." Isabella said all happy while the other two still stood there awkwardly.

She furrows her eyebrows and looks at both of them. "Is everything alright?"

"I should-"

"As should I." Penelope cuts Eloise off and they go to different directions leaving Isabella confused.

Is it my breath? She thought to herself.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Elena made her way towards the buffet, making sure to offer a warm smile to everyone who greeted her along the way. The sights and sounds surrounding her were almost overwhelming, with people chatting and laughing, food being served, and music playing in the background. As she chose some fruits to enjoy, the voices of two people nearby caught her attention.

"I've always wondered, Bridgerton..." Mr. Granville stated. "You are talented, popular amongst the ladies, handsome and come from a very wealthy family. How is it that you are not married yet?" He asked with curiosity.

Benedict chuckled at his remarks. "Is it not obvious, Mr. Granville? It is simply a life that does not suit me. I want to explore my artistic talents, see the world and make a difference to this country. Marriage will only restrain me from doing so." He explained.

"And you are absolutely certain of your choice?" Mr. Granville asked again.

"Absolutely." Benedict nodded. "As if anyone would want to deal with an anxious debutante. I wouldn't dream of my life being any different."

Suddenly, Benedict heard a loud noise of a plate being slammed on the table, causing him to startle. He turned around and could see the back of young woman in a grey dress, walking away from him. Elena tried to find her family through the crowd but everyone was dispersed around the hall.

The only person she could spot was Arthur so she hurriedly made her towards him without even minding the people he was talking to. "Brother, I should like to leave. Now." She said.

Arthur stared worriedly at her and dragged her away from the group of people. "Is everything alright, sister?"

She immediately nodded, trying to find the right words. "Yes, I'm just feeling a bit ill."

"Then we shall leave." Arthur warmly smiled at her. "I will ask Miranda to prepare you a bath when we get home."