15|

~

~

"Good morning, Miss. Did you sleep well?" Miranda asked as she entered the room and  opened the curtains of Elena's room. The young Bennet girl groaned as the brightness of the sun burned her eyes, almost blinding her. "Oh dear, my lady. You do not sound so well."

"I think I've had a little too much of champagne, Miranda." Elena rubbed her eyes
as she suddenly felt a headache.
"Remind to never consume single drop of alcohol again."

"I shall fetch you a cold glass of water. It will help you." Miranda said with a bright smile.

"You're the best, Miranda. Thank you." Elena tiredly responded as her maid left her room and headed down to the kitchen.

She rested her eyes for a brief moment until Lady Bennet came in, still in her nightgown, holding in her hand a glass of some sort of weird liquid. Elena frowned at her mother as she sat down on the bed beside her.

Anastasia sighed and handed her the glass. "Drink." She commanded.

"I think I'd rather drink the glass of water that Miranda is bringing me." Elena replied as she stared at the beverage in disgust.

"Do you still want a headache tomorrow?" Lady Bennet asked her.

Elena hesitated but accepted the drink and finished it in one gulp and gagged. "Ew, what is that?"

"Does not matter. What does, is that you'll feel better tomorrow." Anastasia tucked Elena in bed.
"Rest for today."

"Thank you, mama."

Anastasia gave her daughter a weak smile before patting her on the head. She stood up from Elena's bed and hastily exited the bedroom to leave Elena to rest. Not even 10 minutes later, she was woken up again by a knock on her door.

Elena groaned tiredly, covering her eyes with her arm. "People are trying to sleep in here!"

Her father entered the room with a joyous face. "Elena?" Lord Bennet called and went to sit beside her lying figure on the bed. "How are you feeling, flower?" He asked.

"I'll be feeling better as soon as I get some rest." Elena said sarcastically.

Lord Bennet chuckled at her reply. "I come bearing exciting news, my darling. Last night, Lord Hawthorn came by and asked for my blessing for your hand in marriage.

Elena teared her eyes off from her sheets and stared at her father in shock. "So soon?"

Lord Bennet frowned at his daughter in confusion. "What do you mean? You have been courting each other for quite some time now."

"Yes, but we've only been together for only a few times. W-what did you tell him?"

"I told him yes, of course! But only gave him my answer, I know better than to answer for my daughter. I wanted to make sure if you were ready yet." William assured her. "He is a very remarkable man and a well-respected earl. I can see a bright future ahead of you as a countess, flower."