Chapter 24

"I guess both of us agree with this?"

       "Yes. I hope it will bring good for the people."

       "Of course. That's our intention from the start."

I slowly gathered all the papers together and placed them neatly on one side of the table. My discussion with Lord Hart had come to an end with both of us agreeing on the same terms. Father handed the task of handling suppliers and taxes of our dukedom to me. Presently I'm making a proposition for the suppliers with the help of Lord Hart.

        "My Lady, is it too much if I want to venture into the town with you? To see up close our business is." I stilled at his sudden offer and faced him. It took me a while to answer him.

         "It's my pleasure. Please do send a letter when you set the date. I'll try to make my schedule free." At my word, a small smile adorned his face.

       "I will." After that, I left the mansion and went back to my home. And for the next few days, I went through the same routine.

*******

        "My Lady, the carriage is ready."

       "Thank you. I'll be there shortly."

       "Yes, my Lady."

For the past days, Easton had been bugging me to take him to the town. He was so persistent that it sometimes annoyed me, but thankfully I had some free time today so I decided to stroll the town with Easton. When the annoyance filled me, I instantly felt guilty for feeling that way to Easton. Taking him out to the town was not a difficult request but somehow work had been my priority. I contemplated it and it occurred to me that family should be my priority, nothing can ever replace my family, so I should cherish them with all my heart.

As I came down the stairs, Easton impatiently waited for me. He looked anticipated towards this outing and I'm glad I managed to fulfill his wish. Looking at his wide gummy smile infected me as well.

       "Sister!"

       "I'm late right? Sorry for keeping you waiting."

"No, what're you saying? You are never late. I can wait infinitely for you." Easton took my hand and led me to the carriage. His words melted my heart. He surely will grow up to be a charming man. I could feel my head throb at that thought.

        "You're such a sweet talker."

        "Only for you." I chuckled lightly and continued to board the carriage with Easton's assistance.

The town was bustling with people who came for sightseeing and sellers loudly advertising their goods. It looked lively as usual but I noticed Easton's eyes full of curiosity the longer we walked. He captured everything through his eyes and sometimes came closer to inspect things that he found interesting. He never left my side along the way until we stopped in front of a cafe. I suggested for we take a short break in the cafe and Easton agreed.

The cafe is packed with couples, and families that enjoy their time together. Freshly baked bread and the strong scent of coffee assaulted my nose. The cafe had beige curtains and the tables also had the same color of the tablecloth. It looked neat and comfy.

I ordered an iced lemon drink for Easton and ice chocolate for me. Coffee is not to my liking, I just dislike the bitter taste of coffee. Easton casually ask me about all the things he found on the street until someone broke our peace.

       "A lady won't stuff her face with so much sugar like that. It will add more fat to her."

       "You're right. And to my horror, she's the fiancée of the dashing Prince. How can someone like her be equal to the prince? An ugly duckling like her will never be a match for the prince."

Hearing their comments sliced my heart into pieces, the comments always hurt me no matter how many times I heard them. I tried to make it seem like not affect me much by displaying an expressionless face but Easton reacted fiercely to it. He balled his hands into fists and was ready to yell out to them but I held him down.

         "They don't worth your time much less your energy. Ignore them, ignorance is bliss."

         "But, sister they insulted you. How can you stay quiet? Aren't you mad?"

         "Let's not stoop down to their level. It takes two to make a quarrel. It will seem we admit their slanders by replying to them. Just ignore them. Don't taint your eyes and ears with unpleasant things."

Easton felt defeated when hearing my words, I felt that there was so much he wanted to say but held himself down, for my sake. I hated to see Easton like that but I didn't want to cause any scene here. It's should be a happy day for Easton, I did not want to destroy it with some petty remarks.

We left shortly after that, although it seemed like we were fleeing I didn't much care about anyone else at this time. To be honest I couldn't breathe properly and sat for longer in the cafe. It suffocated me. Easton tightened his grip on my hand while Clarissa patted my forehead with a handkerchief. I sweated a lot and my breathing became more rapid and everything started to get blurred. Without waiting any longer, Easton guided me towards the carriage but at that exact moment, I could see black spots in my vision, and loud piercing sounds rang in my ears. Someone shouted my name anxiously while I slowly succumbed to darkness. Before my body embraced the hard surface of the road, someone caught me and a familiar scent surrounded me.