Chapter 5

I currently sighed over a golden letter placed in front of me. The letter was sealed with royal crest and arrived at Duke Forest Mansion forty minutes ago. Yes, invitation from the palace. 

Why? No details written on the letter. Just the royal family wanted to have a cup of tea with my family. There will be discussion between two families and I hated it. They really showed their intention in the most subtle way.

Just yesterday I wished there will be no trouble to clash with me but the letter in front of me proved me wrong. Troubles do comes when you least expect it. I wished it just going to be casual tea talk or exchanged greetings between us. I really hope for that to happen, sincerely.

My train of thoughts interrupted when a knock sound could be heard in the room. Clarissa entered and informed me that a seamstress had arrived to take my measurements for a new gown. I just nodded at her and followed her to meet the seamstress. 

Mother truly fast at her work. Not even an hour past after the letter arrived and yet she managed to summon a seamstress. I didn't know what I should felt at her fast work, happy or misery.

When I entered the room, I could see a shocked expression on the seamstress's face. But she quickly covered her face with her hand and bowed to me. I just let it slide since it was a normal occurrence to me now. 

People usually get surprised when they saw me. Maybe because I was not as they expected me to be. They wished me, a first born daughter of a Duke to be beautiful, slim and graceful but I'm not. I'm the opposite of it. I'm 5'1 feet and 150 pounds. 

My siblings are all gorgeous, handsome and lean while I'm not. My parents also belong to the gorgeous type that they inherited the genes to their children except me. I have long brown hair with a mediocre look. The only thing I inherited from my parents are my emerald eyes and pinkish plump lips.

The seamstress quickly took my measurements without spoke any words and I appreciated the silence so much. When she took her sweet time to measure me, I turned my face and saw Clarissa with a stern look. I wondered why she get that look on her face when I could feel the seamstress started to fidgeting. Her hands shook and beads of sweat formed on her forehead.

Seeing her distressed state, I quickly gently shook my head with disapproving look on my face. Clarissa got my message and composed herself back to her professional look. 

As soon as the seamstresses finished with the measurements, she showed me a few books that contained design for the gowns. I just looked through the designs until one design caught my attention. A V cut full length empire style gown with cuffed long-sleeves. It looked appealing in my eyes.

The seamstress looked at my expression and took a note about the dress that caught my interest. We discussed further about the colour and added a few improvements to the dress.

Without my notice, a few hours had been spent for that. After finished, I bid her goodbye and Clarissa sent her away.

I was told the dress will took a week at the longest and few days at the shortest. It depends on how much money you willing to spent and I am pretty much sure my mother paid a whole fortune for that because only a few days later, to be exact three days later, four new gowns and two dress suit had arrived.

I could still heard the commotions when those arrived because my mother and sisters were so ecstatic for me to try on the new gown. Well, being me I just said to them to wait on the appointed date to see me wear the gown.

Two days later and here I am with the new gown fitted on my body. The burgundy gown flawlessly covered my insecurities away. Empire style enhanced my waist although it almost at nonexistent and did made look like I do have a waist. 

The neckline elongates my neck and hugged my two huge assets firmly. I did show my cleavage but not too much and I paired my gown with charcoal gray ankle strap block heels.

Clarissa styled my straight hair with flowing waves and parted my hair down to the deep side of my face. When she finished, I was escorted to my family and we rode three two carriages to the palace. 

My parents with Easton and my sisters rode with me. I looked around my sisters and awed at their beauty on that day. Their gowns accentuated their charms and made me proud as their sister. 

Our ride was filled with talks about our day, flowers and random things. Livia and Emmy were the ones that did the most of the talks while I was quietly listening to them.

After about an hour on the road, I could see a magnificent palace in front of my eyes. At the huge entrance, two knights could been seen standing while holding spears. You could not see their expressions well as it been hiding under their helmets.

After the coachmen showed our family crest, we were allowed to go inside the palace. A path could be seen inside the palace that leads to various places. At that moment, an old looking man in butler uniform already waited for us. He lead us to an open garden at the west side of the palace.

I look around the palace with so much awe and nodded briefly at maids and knights that I saw on my way.

Once we arrived at the open garden, I once again was left with astonishment at how beautiful the garden was. At the center of the garden, water fountain built with marble stone sparkled under dazzling sun. Not to mention the garden itself was filled with various and varied flora that hardly found in any nobles houses. The garden fitted greatly in the  magnificent palace.

While I was gaping at my surrounding, my family exchanged greetings with the royal family. My father comfortably talking with the King and my mother  chatting happily with the Queen. My siblings were enjoying the tea and refreshments served in front of them.

I took a seat beside Easton which opposite to my mother and I could feel the Queen gaze on mine. While I was ready mentally to greet the Queen, a voice could be heard from behind of me.

       "Pardon for my tardiness"

And to my fear, that person took the empty seat beside me. And that person was the prince. I was having a conflict inside when the Queen smiled brightly at her son's action.

Although there was a bright smile in front of eyes, I could sense an intimidating aura from my left. It none other than from the prince.

I gulped at the current situation and started to lift the tea cup to my mouth to quench my thirst. It did not really help me because I felt like I just drank a whole lot of sand in my throat.

And to add my despair , the Queen started to talk about the engagement. It really left me terrified because the engagement talk supposed to happen when I was 19 not 16. 

Why it happen now? Why it being push ahead of time?